Serious Boating Question

G

Some time ago, a colleague of mine mentioned that the damage sustained by the QE2 off E coast of US a few years ago was caused by 'squatting.' Has anyone else heard this? What is it? Have any forum members experienced this?

Robbie W

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
Displacement boats/ships operating in shallow and restricted waterways experience a pressure drop beneath the hull proportionate to their speed which causes them to sink lower in the water and apparently increase their draught or 'squat'. eg slow down or run aground............

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.boatsontheweb.com/galleryframes.html> BoatsOnTheWeb and Boaters Photo Gallery</A>

Bergman

Visit site
Probably the best excuse the man could think of on the spur of the moment.

Not too bad really, with more time to think could perhaps have included global warming and El Nino.

nicho

Visit site
There was a very interesting documentary on this phenomenon on TV sometime ago, which described the QE2 incident in detail. It WAS caused by the boat "squatting" in a relatively shallow area. Don't remember the hydro-namic reasons for it, but I do remember being surprised at the insinuation this was an unknown phenomenon before the QE2 grounding (I seem to remeber it was doing in excess of 20 knots at the time). The problem was exacurbated by their being some uncharted rocks in the area too. I guess it wasn't the Captains' day!!

byron

RIP
Visit site
Nicho is right, the QEII hit some uncharted rocks. As I recall squatting wasn't the cause.

http://www.alexander-advertising.co.uk

oldgit

Visit site
In the documentory as I recall they matched the paint found on the rock with the type of paint used on the hull of the QE2.Think they calculated she would draw about another 20 feet or so due to hull speed and shallow depth of water.Just enough to bash rocks.Also believe she should not have been in that particular area and had chosen it over the normal channel.

And here is the weekend weather..

trev

Visit site
'Ship squat' is an issue which has been known about for years - I first came across it on large tankers over 25 years ago. Its been blamed for all sorts of 'errors' mainly by people who should know better - especially pilots !

Trev

oldgit

Visit site
Principle causes ships passing each other to close to draw together and collide. Incident on tuesday in which to small ships came into contact while passing near to Kingsferry Bridge.

And here is the weekend weather..