Sending parts to Barbados

djs

www.uniquesolutions.co.uk
Hi
We are pretty new to this game. We have some warranty parts we need to get sent to meet us in Barbados. Now as I understand it we will most likely be at anchor, and have no contacts in Barbados.
Any suggestions as to how to arrange for the items to be held for us, any agents, clubs, organisations out there that may be able to help.
As the parts are for a yacht in transit I understand it's possible to avoid tax and duty but only if the parts are delivered to the boat which I can't see being possible.
Thanks in advance
Dave

Wandering Star

Visit site
If you sent a PM to the forumite Bajansailor i'm sure he'd advise your best options, helpful chap, lives on the Island and will know all the procedures.

Bajansailor

Visit site
Good morning Dave,
Just saw your post - if you would like to have your new parts sent to my address, I would be happy to receive them for you. I'll pm you my contact details.
What sort of size will these parts be? I am wondering if they would be sent by ordinary post, air parcel or air freight, or perhaps Fed-Ex?
If sent by ordinary post or as a small package via the post, the odds are that duties would be negligible (usually only approx 40p stamp fee)
If it is a big package, then it can be worth sending by Fed Ex rather than air freight, as a large package might involve hiring a Customs Broker to clear it, whereas Fed-Ex will include the Customs charges in their fee.
If duties are payable then Fed-Ex will not deliver it here - it will have to be collected from their depot after paying the duty.

Ashman

Visit site
We took temporary membership at the Barbados Yacht Club and used one of their members' moorings.....the club were very helpful with mail, looking after our dinghy, etc