Selling Boat, Advice Needed

Achilles

Visit site
Regrettably have to sell my Moody because moving abroad. Because I won't be in the UK I'm looking for someone (broker?) to sell her on my behalf. There's a complication in that she has some very small blisters that a surveyor has diagnosed as osmosis. Do I have the osmosis rectified before I sell, or sell with osmosis and reduce the price accordingly?
Does anyone have experience of a decent broker that won't rip me off, or of a firm that can fix the osmosis? Anywhere on the South Coast.

Thanks

jonic

www.jryachts.com
HI Achilles

I am a broker and also a Moody owner. Which Moody is the boat and how blistered is the hull? Did the surveyor recommend that complete osmosis treatment is carried out immediately (or in the very near future) or did he give another view in his report?

These people
can give you a quote for osmosis treatment. They are based on The Hamble.

Last edited:

Quandary

Visit site
HI Achilles

I am a broker and also a Moody owner. Which Moody is the boat and how blistered is the hull? Did the surveyor recommend that complete osmosis treatment is carried out immediately (or in the very near future) or did he give another view in his report?

These people
can give you a quote for osmosis treatment. They are based on The Hamble.

As a potential customer I had some dealings with jonic a couple of years ago, good contacts, reliable, straight forward guy who knows the business, with more real experience than ten average brokers, in the end we bought elsewhere, but if I had a Moody to sell on the South Coast I would use him. Certainly worth talking to.

Pasarell

Visit site
Selling boat with osmosis

If I was buying I would rather buy with knowledge of the problem and a suitable price to get it fixed myself than be told it had just been done. I could then get the fix done to my standards. I'm sure others will disagree but that's my way.

I would talk to Richard at Hayling Yacht Co about the repair job to get a quote even if you sell it beforehand.
www.haylingyacht.co.uk

purplerobbie

Visit site
There is a lot of rubbish talked about osmosis treatments and i would be very careful about taking advice off a company that does osmosis treatments as there bread and butter.

All the reputable surveyors i have spoken to about osmosis say that if its only a small effected area it is far better to treat the effected area by opening the blisters and letting them dry then filling with epoxy than it is to peel the gel coat.

Whatever you do don't try to market it with the line "Preventative osmosis treatment carried out" Because nobody in there right mind would peel then re-coat a hull on the off chance it might get osmosis. It just come across as a lie

Rob

David_Jersey

Visit site
Dig the blisters out and fill 'em...........add a couple of coats of antifouling. and leave it for the buyer's surveyor to assess.

Visit site
leave it untreated and be prepared to adjust the price - the treatement takes too long to mess around with, and buyers are usually unrealistically hopeful about what they will pay and what they can get away with. with any luck you will get one of these "spot treatment" characters who will reckon on getting away with a cheap treatment of the blisters alone and therefore the discount wont be much.

A sensible buyer would want to treat himself anyway since the legal guarantee would not be transferable if you had the work done

lille_bee

Visit site
The Pox

Hello Achilles

When I was broker (and Moody owner) local surveyors often said that there was little point in spending the money to get the the pox treated and new gel coat added, if you were planning to sell, as any purchaser's surveyor will have to satisfy him/herself that the job was done properly. To do this, with any degree of certainty and to cover themselves legally, surveyors will have to start removing those dreaded little squares of gelcoat to get at the fibres underneath.

Who, in their right mind, pays all that money to have a nice new "shell" put on their hull only to have holes cut in it........ ask a realistic price and leave it to the new owner.

The new owner and surveyor can then supervise the "drying out" process BEFORE the new gelcoat is applied......don't let the osmosis treatment company do it when they feel like it, they want you out of the drying shed to make room for the next mug. By the way, any "Warranty" that is offered on the the treatment is usually expensive and has more holes in it than a ....well....holey thing and it's probably not transferable.

Has anyone ever heard of a boat sinking from osmosis?

Regards

John and elsa

oldfatgit

Visit site
My advice would be:

1. Get a couple of quotes for the treatment.
2. Sell the boat with the osmosis.
3. Be prepared to reduce the price by the average of the quotes.
4. Don't be bullied into an excessive reduction.

All buyers surveyors will advise a level of work which is risk free to their good name, some buyers are happy to take the reduction and ignore the problem.

If I were having my boat treated (again) I'd go back to Hayling Island Yacht Company who did a first class job on my old boat. The reason, at least in part, being that they kept asking me if they could delay my boat in favour of other (nagginig) customers. She ended up being under cover for 3 months and so the treatment worked very well. I also found that though the yard appeared to be a complete mess, they ran rather good quality assurance procedures allowing me to have confidence in their work. I'm sure other yards are the same, however, it was nice to see.

jonic

www.jryachts.com
As a potential customer I had some dealings with jonic a couple of years ago, good contacts, reliable, straight forward guy who knows the business, with more real experience than ten average brokers, in the end we bought elsewhere, but if I had a Moody to sell on the South Coast I would use him. Certainly worth talking to.

Quandary, that is extremely kind. Thank you.