Self-tacking jib - Hanse 331

G

First post - very scary ;-)

I've decided to treat my father to a self-tacking jib on his Hanse 331 for Christmas. I'm sure this will go down a treat with my mother as well!

Any ideas how I go about this - done plenty of sailing on other people's boats but never been right at the sharp-end before.

Can these things be bought 'off the shelf' from the orginal dealer, or is it better/cheaper to have a sail made up by going direct to a sail maker?

Also - perhaps someone could give me a ball-park figure!

I'm based in Amsterdam/UK, boat is in Plymouth, father is in Bristol.

thanks in advance,
Ian

G

Does the ship already have a track across the deck to take the self-tacking jib?

G

Hi Martijn,
The track is in place on the foredeck - has a single block on it - although it's not clear how to route the sheet back to the clutches on the coachroof without it chafing on the mast. Any ideas?
Just had a quote of UKP 550 inc VAT and delivery from Crusader Sails.
Seems pretty reasonable!

G

Sorry, I've no idea what sails cost...
Rigging the selftacking jib is pretty simple stuff, two possibilities:
1. Sheet comes from the jib, through the block on the traveller and then up the mast - coming back down inside the mast and being led to the sheet winches via mastfoot and blocks. Seems to me rather complicated to retrofit.

2. Sheet comes from jib through block on traveller. After the traveller lead the sheet through a block at the stem (on my parents' Sirena 38 this block is attached to the forestay chainplate), leading it aft again through the same blocks you are using for the normal jib now. On my parents' boat this setup works very well!

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Price doesn't seem unreasonable but Crusader are always at the low end of the price scale which is maybe why it took them 5 months to supply a number three I ordered.

You might ask the Hanse agent if they'd recommend a particular sailmaker that has built good self-tackers for their boats.

A local (to the boat) sailmaker is a good idea - if after it's built something doesn't look right its easy to get them along to take a look and do some remedials.