Self installing an inboard autopilot system

Daverw

Visit site
I fitted the Ev100 tiller system last year to replace the 2000+ that I did use. A world of difference, Quieter , quicker and far less power needed. When first installed did the on dock installation and never got round to doing on water circles etc and still worked well, when looking at wake very steady. Just added rudder sensor, bit of a challenge as had to fit a cable to link it from tiller shaft to rudder reference unit under deck. Sails to wind I find very reliable.

SiteSurfer

Visit site
Fitted evo system last month with rudder sensor. Easy and quiet. Most difficult was making the mount for the drive unit shaped to the hull. Setup a breeze - super happy.

coopec

N/A
Visit site
I can't remember what the actual force they can deliver is but it's a lot! I'm planing on bolting it down through a substantial grip floor with a backing plate underneath and onto a vertical bulkhead, again with a backing plate. I will be making a custom bracket for this...

I can't see if you have nominated the design of your yacht but the forces on the auto helm mount would depend on the size/area of the rudder and whether it was a balanced rudder.
On my yacht the rudder is keel mounted and when I used an online calculator (can't find it now) I found the forces could be up around a tonne(?)
Also, is your yacht f/g? Although it will be a while before I install my autohelm (better get the yacht in the water first) I have installed ss mounting lugs which wasn't a huge problem. There were no bolts just ss strip and angle fiberglassed to the hull

Last edited:

wully1

Visit site
I think around a tonne would certainly possible..that’s my main concern with an onboard pilot onto a tiller shaft..getting on the wrong side of that If the tiller goes hard over would be very,very bad.

coopec

N/A
Visit site
Old thread resurrection alert!

On a previous boat my linear drive installation went well and was trouble free all through my ownership and is still going strong with the new owner.

Now it‘s time to buy another boat of around the same size and displacement- but tiller steered this time.
I have bad memories of tiller pilots which are maybe not just quite as crap as the pathetic clicky-whirly bolt on wheel pilot things so I’m thinking of fitting a new Evo type 1 linear drive system.

Apart from being crushed by the tiller are there any drawbacks to doing this? (Apart from the cost...)

Are the Evo EV 100 pilots the sensible choice? Are they quiet in operation?

Anyone done this? I expect the headbanger solo racers all have below decks pilots for the reliability- but with much better controllers.

I am bewildered! :unsure:

Why did you resurrect a 2013 thread? What is the reasoning? Why not start a new thread?

Please elucidate!

HissyFit

Visit site
I think around a tonne would certainly possible..that’s my main concern with an onboard pilot onto a tiller shaft..getting on the wrong side of that If the tiller goes hard over would be very,very bad.
If you can remove the tiller arm when going on autopilot, do so. Either that or hinge it up out of the way. You don't want that swinging around.

Quandary

Visit site
Wully, I have most of what you need at a bargain price, EV200, P70R, rudder sensor, cabling kit, all the bits except the drive, in unused condition still in the boxes at 60% of list price, if you want a look PM me for full details. It was set up with an Octopus type cable drive which I have since sold but it is compatible with nearly any make and type of drive. I had intended to fit it in our Moody but the AH 4000 pilot it came with is coping manfully.
It was fitted, tested and then removed so it is easy to do if I managed it. I made ply mounting boards which might be useful too?

Last edited:

Quandary

Visit site
The issue about getting trapped by the tiller, this is unlikely because the total movement of the ram is limited, certainly not a problem on our tiller steered S31.
Wully List of what I could let you have
ACU200 control unit
EV sensor core with mounting bracket (it can also be flush mounted above deck.
P70R colour display head with cover.
Rudder reference unit with cable (not always needed)
Evolution Cabling kit with backbone cable.
WIres fuse etc for power and drive.
Cutting templates
Installation, setting up and operating manuals for above
All still in boxes and in new (unused) condition, Purchased at Ardfern 2016 installed tested but not used since because boat it was meant for was sold.

Concerto

Visit site
Wully1 you do not mention what boat you are considering, The Autohelm 2000 tiller pilots are only suitable to boats of up to 4 ton. That is what came with my Fulmar (weighs 5½ tons) and I replaced it with a Evo 100 three years ago. Brilliant piece of kit and very easy to fit. I used the old socket for the ram and found the 50% bigger ram make this come lose. It had been drilled into a balsa core section of deck, so this had to be hollowed out and epoxy filled. The original under tiller arm was reused. Storing the ram is easy on the Fulmar as there is a deep gulley to drain the cockpit seat. Takes seconds to mount.

wully1

Visit site
Wully1 you do not mention what boat you are considering, The Autohelm 2000 tiller pilots are only suitable to boats of up to 4 ton. That is what came with my Fulmar (weighs 5½ tons) and I replaced it with a Evo 100 three years ago. Brilliant piece of kit and very easy to fit. I used the old socket for the ram and found the 50% bigger ram make this come lose. It had been drilled into a balsa core section of deck, so this had to be hollowed out and epoxy filled. The original under tiller arm was reused. Storing the ram is easy on the Fulmar as there is a deep gulley to drain the cockpit seat. Takes seconds to mount.

Ive been reading reviews on them - one of the common complaints is that they are noisy. Do you find this?

Ive had bolt on wheel versions of autopilots which were noisy, clicky clunky junk on various boats, then I fitted the Type 1 linear drive which is virtually silent, you certainly can’t hear it on deck. When I was using the cockpit pilots all of them failed from either water ingress, plastic cog disintegration or slipping belts. Or all three..
The tiller version I had on my first boat also failed due to water ingress. This is unacceptable for something that’s sold to work in a cockpit..

(and yes, they were correctly sized for the boat)

I only enjoy helming for short periods so use the pilot most of the time while I trim and tweak the sails, make tea etc.

D

Deleted member 36384

I installed an ACU400 with the SeaTalkNG backbone. If you go down this road (Quandary's ACU200) stand out points which caused me frustration: -

• The ACU unit has a power on / off micro switch inside (top left corner in the section where the cables are connected (I assume it is the same on the ACU200). Green LED is power off, red LED is Power on. I did not pick up in the manual what was meant by this microswitch - powers the backbone. So I am wondering why there is power to the ACU but no power to the P70 control head (or rotary drive motor). It was only on close inspection of the ACU400 panel which showed the micro switch to be in the off position (green LED on).
  • The connectors are a pain to make unless aligned exactly. There is a small V moulded onto the connector locking ring which must be aligned exactly with the cable plug. If it is out of alignment, even slightly, the cable will not be push home. Firm pressure is required to push home the cable connectors. This caused a lot of frustration until I worked that out, maybe I am stupid and it would be obvious to others but the manual does not make this clear.
My system in principle is the same as Quandary's and was very easy to install. I bought a couple of 5m SeatalkNG cables, the backbone (blue / black) and the device spur (white / black) as I needed to twist and turn around furniture to get the cable runs. The hardest part of the installation was the running of the cables.

My rotary drive is the old Neco Motor and it is silent, no motor noise, just the sound of the rod steering and bevel box gears meshing. So if that dog of a motor is silent I would imagine that modern liner system is silent, but that's a guess. Jeffa also makes kit that can be used with the Evolution system.

Jefa Steering Systems

Concerto

Visit site
Ive been reading reviews on them - one of the common complaints is that they are noisy. Do you find this?

Ive had bolt on wheel versions of autopilots which were noisy, clicky clunky junk on various boats, then I fitted the Type 1 linear drive which is virtually silent, you certainly can’t hear it on deck. When I was using the cockpit pilots all of them failed from either water ingress, plastic cog disintegration or slipping belts. Or all three..
The tiller version I had on my first boat also failed due to water ingress. This is unacceptable for something that’s sold to work in a cockpit..

(and yes, they were correctly sized for the boat)

I only enjoy helming for short periods so use the pilot most of the time while I trim and tweak the sails, make tea etc.
Whoever said the Evo 100 was noisy must have super sensitive hearing. Yes, there is some noise from the ram, but if the sails are well balanced (tiller central to the boat) then the boat should need minimal correction. I enjoy helming but just after I fitted the Evo 100 I sailed from Chatham to the Isles of Scilly and back singlehanded. There was no way I was going to hand steer for 12 to 16 hours a day, so the Evo 100 was used for about 90%+ of the time including in rough weather (upto force 7) and under spinnaker. I bought the Evo 100 as all the main electronics are mounted below decks with the exception of the display head and ram, so problems of water ingress like on a tiller pilot have been almost solved.

wully1

Visit site
Just been to look at The possible boatie Purchase and a Type 1 drive would be challenging to fit due to the fact that the rudder tube comes all the way up to the underside of the deck - so no easy way without major surgery to clamp on a tiller arm for a linear drive.
Maybe I’ll look at a windvane.......:giggle: