self build - proof of ownership

snowleopard

Visit site
my boat is ssr registered and the certificate of registry says 'this does not constitute proof of ownership'

when clearing into martinique i was asked to produce proof of ownership. i offered to go and get it from the boat and they backed off. probably just as well as it consisted of a huge pile of invoices and a photo record of the build. i also carry those invoices for proof of vat as the customs now refuse to issue a letter confirming vat payment

has any other self builder been through this hoop? is there any other way of proving ownership apart from goint to part 1 registry?

<hr width=100% size=1>

mikewilkes

Visit site
If you have all that proof could you not just knock something up on a p.c. to look very official and get a rubber stamp made? Another possibility could you get a notorised bit of paper from a lawyer?

<hr width=100% size=1>

mikewilkes

Visit site
Had another thought - this old age thing - about ten years ago with the older software a good friend of mine did an excellent copy of a C & G certificate. This was including all the background stuff on the paper and the seals that go with it.
OK he was night shifts offshore and it took him about 3 weeks.
After all you are not really doing anthing illegal cos you cab prove self build etc - you are just trying to save any hassle.

<hr width=100% size=1>

AndrewB

Visit site
Not sure that any British yacht, whether self-build or otherwise, has any simple proof of ownership other than part 1 registration.

You must look suspicious. ;-) I found Martinique really relaxed about admission - about the only place in the WI that doesn't make a fuss about a zarpe - previous port clearance certification.

Mike's suggestion of a Yacht Stamp might be an idea. Bill Cooper once told me he had found it invaluable for convincing port officials in some east European countries.

jeanne

Visit site
When the VAT rules were introduced, I had the same problem, i.e. a self built boat, with a Tesco bag full of receipts for some of the components [cement, sand, wire, etc.].
At the time, Customs and Excise had a 'task force' to handle queries, so I sent them the Tesco bag, and eventually received a letter saying that they accepted this as proof that the boat was 'Vat paid'.
I look after the letter with care, but VAT status is still not 'proof of ownership'.
I believe that, when you sail the sea you are bound by the laws of your own country, and the fact that a man in an office in Martinique has included proof of ownership on his wishlist does not make it a law, unless you would be asked the same question entering the UK.

<hr width=100% size=1>