Selden parts/rigger in Sardinia?

Yngmar

Visit site
Some rather important bits and pieces of our in-mast furling broke on the way over from Sicily. We're currently in Arbatax wanting to go north (bit tricky with no main sail though, but we can motor). Any recommendations where to get obscure Selden parts around the area? I figure Olbia might have a rigger that could get them?

Still need to drop the sail and figure out if it's a mast-off job or not (in which case recommendations for mast crane + operator would also be useful).

We're having a bit of a rubbish start of the season! :poop:

JFowler

Visit site
Sorry to hear of your problem.
I can’t give specific recommendation, but Olbia has multiple yards and a Marina & you’ll certainly get all the help you need there. Hopefully not a mast out job!

Star-Lord

Visit site
Some rather important bits and pieces of our in-mast furling broke on the way over from Sicily. We're currently in Arbatax wanting to go north (bit tricky with no main sail though, but we can motor). Any recommendations where to get obscure Selden parts around the area? I figure Olbia might have a rigger that could get them?

Still need to drop the sail and figure out if it's a mast-off job or not (in which case recommendations for mast crane + operator would also be useful).

We're having a bit of a rubbish start of the season! :poop:
I have been in Sardinia for a bit now... I have a few rigging bits that need doing... I will get it done in Mahon, Menorca by the English Rigger there. Arrive out of season for quick service. I hope this helps!

Yngmar

Visit site
Pried out the broken parts through the inspection holes today, which was tricky but doable. Almost certain that with the winch also removed, I can reinsert them from the bottom without unstepping the mast (they're more tricky when whole).

Now hunting down the Selden part (I found an ancient pricelist from 2012 in which it's listed as 122 EUR, so probably 250 today), hoping it still can be sourced. Emailed Gotthardt who deal in Selden parts, hoping to hear back tomorrow. Also will need a friendly and not too expensive marina or someone that lets me use their address to receive a courier parcel. Don't trust Poste Italiane with anything more than postcards based on previous experience.

Thanks, who is the Mahon rigger, if it comes to that? Bit far to motor, but if need be...

43925cd9f03326d5.jpeg

MapisM

Visit site
Going to Mahon from Arbatax for a job like that?!? That's beyond a joke.
The yard right inside Arbatax marina is more than capable to both source the part and support you with the repair.
BTW, if you're heading towards Olbia next, it's well worth having the boat fixed before leaving Arbatax, because the Orosei Gulf is beautiful and it would be a real pity to do it with a handicapped boat, and be unable to enjoy it as it deserves.
Good luck.

Morsail

Visit site
Pried out the broken parts through the inspection holes today, which was tricky but doable. Almost certain that with the winch also removed, I can reinsert them from the bottom without unstepping the mast (they're more tricky when whole).

Now hunting down the Selden part (I found an ancient pricelist from 2012 in which it's listed as 122 EUR, so probably 250 today), hoping it still can be sourced. Emailed Gotthardt who deal in Selden parts, hoping to hear back tomorrow. Also will need a friendly and not too expensive marina or someone that lets me use their address to receive a courier parcel. Don't trust Poste Italiane with anything more than postcards based on previous experience.

Thanks, who is the Mahon rigger, if it comes to that? Bit far to motor, but if need be...

I have a solution to Selden In Mast furling line drive issues and furling problems.
The plastic line drive and continuous line is replaced with a SS drum and Dyneema furling line.
The SS drum has been in the field under use for over 2 years on a 46 foot catamaran and a 40 foot monohull.
A knowledgeable owner or rigger will be able to install the SS drum and service the furling system.
The furling plastic line drive system, spool locking system, and continuous furling line is removed.
The install requires a cheek block installed inside the aft end of the boom to create the length of furling line needed to furl the sail.
The removal, install, and rigging process can be done in about a total of 6 hours.
This is not a Selden approved part.
If you are interested let me know the boat type, year, photo from above the boom to the mast base, and your location. We have been enjoying less load on the system while single line furling and reefed. I am a retired independent sailmaker of over 45 years and a Selden Distributor since 1983. Currently cruising Turkey...
Short video at

43925cd9f03326d5.jpeg

Yngmar

Visit site
Sorted. SVB shipped the part to a DHL service point in Olbia from wher I could collect it by showing my passport - great service, no extra cost, no signup required, open Monday-Friday 9 - 18:30. You just need to look up the DHL service point number from their website and put it in the address.

I've just fitted it and it does indeed go in the mast without having to unstep it, although the furling winch had to come out to assembled the bottom connector, but it wasn't difficult (unless you have huge paws - gotta fit them in those mast slots).

I've also squeezed the gap full of goopaflex so the water can no longer enter and sit in there for ages corroding the thing from the inside out. If Selden would do this, it probably would last at least three decades instead of two :)

More details and pictures on the Bavaria forum, if you're interested: Selden "Furlin" In-Mast furler: Broken tack assembly