Seeking Recommendations: RYA Coastal Skipper Practical Course in UK or Warm Climates

-rene-

Visit site
Hey everyone,

I'm on the hunt for some guidance! I'm eager to take the RYA Coastal Skipper practical course sometime in January or February. I reached out to Commodore Yachting in the Solent, but unfortunately, there aren't enough people signed up for the January course, and February doesn't seem promising either.

I'm exploring options both in the UK and potentially in warmer spots like the Canary Islands. Any leads or recommendations on where I might find a course that fits the bill? Your insights would be massively appreciated!

Thanks a bunch!

Rene

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Hello and Welcome to the forum

Have you contacted SeaRegs in Plymouth. I've done several courses with them and would recommend them.

Winter courses are never as popular as summer ones, I can't think why. ;)

-rene-

Visit site
Hello and Welcome to the forum

Have you contacted SeaRegs in Plymouth. I've done several courses with them and would recommend them.

Winter courses are never as popular as summer ones, I can't think why. ;)

Big thanks, @Sandy, for the warm welcome! Winter sailing truly has its magic. There's something special about having the waters all to yourself! 😊

I've scoured their website, but oddly enough, I couldn't spot any Coastal Skipper courses listed. However, they do seem to offer Day Skipper and Yachtmaster Offshore training. I've shot them a message regardless.

Your assistance is invaluable. Many thanks again!

Cheers!

Dellquay13

Boat at Milford Haven, Home in Chesterfield
Visit site
I did my CS 5day in Feb 23. The diesel heater on the boat was broken and the engine water strainer had an air leak which had to primed from a measuring jug every time before it could be started.

There were 4 CS candidates on the boat (no CC or DS) so we had to work in 2 pairs on each task, as there wasn’t time to assess us individually on the full range of the syllabus.
I never got any replies to follow up emails.
I won’t name them, but the boat was berthed in Chatham marina, opposite Concerto of this parish

However, I am glad I did it in February for the experience of sailing mostly in the dark and cold foggy conditions outside, and in shallow sandbank waters very different to my usual deep and rocky Pembrokeshire .
I really didn’t like the cold foggy conditions inside my cabin with no heating, and the constant dripping of condensation soaking my sleeping bag

Last edited:

shortjohnsilver

Visit site
I did my CS 5day in Feb 23. The diesel heater on the boat was broken and the engine water strainer had an air leak which had to primed from a measuring jug every time before it could be started.

There were 4 CS candidates on the boat (no CC or DS) so we had to work in 2 pairs on each task, as there wasn’t time to assess us individually on the full range of the syllabus.
I never got any replies to follow up emails.
I won’t name them, but the boat was berthed in Chatham marina, opposite Concerto of this parish

However, I am glad I did it in February for the experience of sailing mostly in the dark and cold foggy conditions outside, and in shallow sandbank waters very different to my usual deep and rocky Pembrokeshire .
I really didn’t like the cold foggy conditions inside my cabin with no heating, and the constant dripping of condensation soaking my sleeping bag
Ahh yes know the outfit you allude to. 😐 …….and would you be willing to provide the cost of the CS course with them, for comparative purposes of course?

Dellquay13

Visit site
Ahh yes know the outfit you allude to. 😐 …….and would you be willing to provide the cost of the CS course with them, for comparative purposes of course?
It’s probably on their website…(but there was just enough change from £600 for a bag of chips on my way home… in a kind of Yorkshire gruff ‘wen ar wurra lad, too bob’d get tha a neyt at pictures, anna bag oh chips on whey om’ reference

Last edited:

zoidberg

Visit site

'Allo, 'allo, -Rene- and most welcome.

It would seem Dellquay13 has been introduced to 'traditional sailing'. He hasn't mentioned sleeping on a pile of wet sails in the forepeak.... rusty fisherman anchor stabbing him in the back and ribs..... the tea that tasted more of salt and diesel.... the stink of old paraffin cookers in the food....

I'm hoping that the joys of Joint Services Sea Training for 'noobs' has moved on a tad from the 70s....

Dellquay13

Visit site
'Allo, 'allo, -Rene- and most welcome.

It would seem Dellquay13 has been introduced to 'traditional sailing'. He hasn't mentioned sleeping on a pile of wet sails in the forepeak.... rusty fisherman anchor stabbing him in the back and ribs..... the tea that tasted more of salt and diesel.... the stink of old paraffin cookers in the food....

I'm hoping that the joys of Joint Services Sea Training for 'noobs' has moved on a tad from the 70s....
I can slum it anytime on my own 70s MAB for free, I will likely be sleeping onboard later this week, but with very minimal heating (600w oil radiator) and an airtight raw water strainer. If the school is getting £2400 income for 5 nights, I expected a better kept boat.
The overloading of CS candidates was the biggest problem, which the instructor acknowledged as we 1st went on board.

Last edited:

wonkywinch

Visit site
A few schools in Gibraltar. Simple to get to from the UK. I thought the schools took the mickey claiming to be tidal when the range is barely a foot but that's not an issue now.

laika

Visit site
There is no better place for a sailing course than the solent in winter. It has a decent range of tides, most of the hazards you will ever likely encounter, it's steeped in sailing history and it can be magical (if cold) in winter. KLM fly direct from Amsterdam to Southampton and it's a short train ride to places like the hamble, gosport and lymington where (in addition to Southampton itself) there's plenty of schools. Alternatively Eurostar to London and train to the south coast. I've only ever done a theory course with Hamble school of yachting, but they're generally well regarded, big enough to be running something in winter, and the hamble is a wonderful place to sail out of: RYA Coastal Skipper Training Course: RYA Training Courses

I'm sure others will have other recommendations for schoosl but obviously any course is down to the individual instructor you get.

-rene-

Visit site
There is no better place for a sailing course than the solent in winter. It has a decent range of tides, most of the hazards you will ever likely encounter, it's steeped in sailing history and it can be magical (if cold) in winter. KLM fly direct from Amsterdam to Southampton and it's a short train ride to places like the hamble, gosport and lymington where (in addition to Southampton itself) there's plenty of schools. Alternatively Eurostar to London and train to the south coast. I've only ever done a theory course with Hamble school of yachting, but they're generally well regarded, big enough to be running something in winter, and the hamble is a wonderful place to sail out of: RYA Coastal Skipper Training Course: RYA Training Courses

I'm sure others will have other recommendations for schoosl but obviously any course is down to the individual instructor you get.

This is precisely why I opt for doing my practical training in the UK. While my home country would have been a viable option, none of the sailing schools in the Netherlands offer RYA courses during the winter season.

I've extensively searched for sailing schools in the Solent area via Google, only to find that none have enough participants confirmed for courses running in January and February. Please do share if you happen to know of any school that does have courses confirmed and running during these months, unlike my experience with Commodore Yachting in Gosport.

-rene-

Visit site
Sailing Courses | RU Sailing
Learn2Sail - Complete your RYA Yachtmaster Theory, RYA Coastal Skipper & RYA Practical Yachtmaster in Algarve, Portugal
No connection with either of these centres but can be a great place for some winter sailing. I see both companies out regularly here. It's tidal as well which makes it more suited. Oh and flights are cheap at the moment.

Great suggestion! I'll consider this as a fallback option since courses often get canceled due to low sign-ups or because Coastal Skipper practical courses aren't offered during the winter in the UK.

st599

Visit site
I did my DS in Gib, then the instructor opened his own school in Lanzarote, so did my CS exam there.

wonkywinch

Visit site
This is precisely why I opt for doing my practical training in the UK. While my home country would have been a viable option, none of the sailing schools in the Netherlands offer RYA courses during the winter season.

I've extensively searched for sailing schools in the Solent area via Google, only to find that none have enough participants confirmed for courses running in January and February. Please do share if you happen to know of any school that does have courses confirmed and running during these months, unlike my experience with Commodore Yachting in Gosport.
RYA Coastal Skipper Training Course: RYA Training Courses