Security Cameras on boat

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Do cameras like the igeek work if they are located behind glass (e.g. a shed window) please ? Finding a place to locate a camera which cannot be disabled easily is a bit of a problem.

Yes they do work behind glass but sometimes the night vision/Infrared does not work well. The Igeek is completely waterproof and as it is battery powered (with solar Panel) can be placed in many locations/Positions to be out of the way re tampering. Also no wires to cut.

Hurricane

Visit site
About 10 days now on the Battery Camera and the sun for the solar has been very poor and the Battery is still at 88 %. It seems far better than I thought it would be. Would like some sun so It could have a better test re the charging. If you are in sunny climes I think this would keep charged permanently
My Reolink solar powered camera has been running without any additional power for 4 months on the boat and it ran for about a year when it was at home.
So it seems that your one is similar.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
My Reolink solar powered camera has been running without any additional power for 4 months on the boat and it ran for about a year when it was at home.
So it seems that your one is similar.

Yes very good indeed. I thought there claims of duration would have been well over stated but seems not. When you view it on the phone however it takes about 15 seconds to get the feed because I think it has to wake up. All rather clever

Seastoke

Visit site

TwoHooter

Visit site
Forgive me for being ignorant with IT but can you put a pay as you go sim in and which sort or best deal , and how long would say 20 qwid last .
Most of us are ignorant about IT. Some, like Hurricane, are not ignorant. The rest of us blag. ;)

Short answers: Yes you can put a PAYG SIM in a camera or a router, and £20 probably won't last a year.... but it depends.

There is no "sort" as such. They will all connect to their provider's network in the cellular system.
But there are only 4 Cell networks in the UK: EE, O2, Three and Vodafone.
There are a few "piggyback" operators who lease frequency usage ("bandwidth") from one of the 4 network providers.
An online search for current offers is the only way to see what is available.
Just search for the best deal
But how do you know which is the best deal? Price isn't everything.

The best advice is to know how to define what you need and what questions to have in your mind when evaluating offers.

Here are my suggestions:
  1. Network: the cheapest deal in the world is no good if there is no signal where you need it. You need to know whether you will be static or moving. For example, our boat is based in Plymouth at the moment and we do coastal cruising in UK, Irish, and Channel Island waters. Based on our experience EE has the best coverage and signal strength at the moment. But there are places near our home where Vodafone has the best signal, and others where another operator would be better. For many users the signal determines which network to choose and it's a case of finding the best deal for that network. Another example is our shore power loss detector which had an ASDA SIM in it until recently. ASDA used to piggyback on EE. This year they changed to Vodafone. So we cancelled the deal because Vodafone coverage is not as good as EE in West Country coastal areas.
  2. If the SIM is on a boat and you will be going abroad the roaming charges will be very important, and as mentioned above the situation is fluid.
  3. When you have chosen your network you need to determine what deal you need and for that you need to know what the connection will be used for. There are 3 possible uses: voice calls, SMS (Short Message Service, ie: texts), and data. Data is anything which isn't voice or SMS, eg: browsing, streaming video, email, Whatsapp, and so on. With the growth of VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) and apps like Whatsapp you couldn't rule out data being the only thing eventually. For a camera or a router with a SIM slot you will be consuming data, and possibly SMS if alerts are sent by texts, but no voice, so you need to find out what the camera manufacturer says about data consumption (and possibly SMSs). A deal which offers unlimited voice calls but charges a fortune for data is no good for a camera or router. And a deal which offers cheap data but charges 30p for an SMS would be useless for our shore power loss detector which communicates only by sending and receiving texts. You do need to be able to guesstimate your usage before you go looking for a deal.
  4. When you have chosen a network (or two, or three) and estimated your usage there are a few gotchas to be aware of. Some PAYG services insist you use your pre-paid allowances within a time limit. When the time is up your money's gone even if you haven't used the SIM at all. Others charge a fortune if you go over your limits. And some "PAYG" deals are actually fixed term contracts - mutton dressed as lamb. Read the small print.
  5. Finally, there is your interface with the provider. The cheapest deal is no good if you get apoplexy trying to deal with the provider when something goes wrong. Sadly, you won't know about that until it's too late.
On our boat we have two SIMs. They are both EE for the reason I gave above. The router handles a lot of data traffic when we are on board, and our cameras also connect over the router. I have a 24 month contract with EE which covers the router and 2 phones. Basically it was a £10 per month standing charge for each device and we get 100Gb of data per month (plus a load of voice minutes and SMSs) which I can "gift" to whichever device needs the allowance most. The price has gone up since we signed and it's not cheap but it works for us. But for the shore power loss detector I have a SIM from 1p mobile (introduced to me by someone on the Practical Boat owner forum) because it's on the EE network and for the use we make of it the cost is £30 p.a.

Sorry if this post is a bit long.

ShaneAtSea

Visit site
Most of us are ignorant about IT. Some, like Hurricane, are not ignorant. The rest of us blag. ;)

Short answers: Yes you can put a PAYG SIM in a camera or a router, and £20 probably won't last a year.... but it depends.

There is no "sort" as such. They will all connect to their provider's network in the cellular system.
But there are only 4 Cell networks in the UK: EE, O2, Three and Vodafone.
There are a few "piggyback" operators who lease frequency usage ("bandwidth") from one of the 4 network providers.
An online search for current offers is the only way to see what is available.

But how do you know which is the best deal? Price isn't everything.

The best advice is to know how to define what you need and what questions to have in your mind when evaluating offers.

Here are my suggestions:
  1. Network: the cheapest deal in the world is no good if there is no signal where you need it. You need to know whether you will be static or moving. For example, our boat is based in Plymouth at the moment and we do coastal cruising in UK, Irish, and Channel Island waters. Based on our experience EE has the best coverage and signal strength at the moment. But there are places near our home where Vodafone has the best signal, and others where another operator would be better. For many users the signal determines which network to choose and it's a case of finding the best deal for that network. Another example is our shore power loss detector which had an ASDA SIM in it until recently. ASDA used to piggyback on EE. This year they changed to Vodafone. So we cancelled the deal because Vodafone coverage is not as good as EE in West Country coastal areas.
  2. If the SIM is on a boat and you will be going abroad the roaming charges will be very important, and as mentioned above the situation is fluid.
  3. When you have chosen your network you need to determine what deal you need and for that you need to know what the connection will be used for. There are 3 possible uses: voice calls, SMS (Short Message Service, ie: texts), and data. Data is anything which isn't voice or SMS, eg: browsing, streaming video, email, Whatsapp, and so on. With the growth of VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) and apps like Whatsapp you couldn't rule out data being the only thing eventually. For a camera or a router with a SIM slot you will be consuming data, and possibly SMS if alerts are sent by texts, but no voice, so you need to find out what the camera manufacturer says about data consumption (and possibly SMSs). A deal which offers unlimited voice calls but charges a fortune for data is no good for a camera or router. And a deal which offers cheap data but charges 30p for an SMS would be useless for our shore power loss detector which communicates only by sending and receiving texts. You do need to be able to guesstimate your usage before you go looking for a deal.
  4. When you have chosen a network (or two, or three) and estimated your usage there are a few gotchas to be aware of. Some PAYG services insist you use your pre-paid allowances within a time limit. When the time is up your money's gone even if you haven't used the SIM at all. Others charge a fortune if you go over your limits. And some "PAYG" deals are actually fixed term contracts - mutton dressed as lamb. Read the small print.
  5. Finally, there is your interface with the provider. The cheapest deal is no good if you get apoplexy trying to deal with the provider when something goes wrong. Sadly, you won't know about that until it's too late.
On our boat we have two SIMs. They are both EE for the reason I gave above. The router handles a lot of data traffic when we are on board, and our cameras also connect over the router. I have a 24 month contract with EE which covers the router and 2 phones. Basically it was a £10 per month standing charge for each device and we get 100Gb of data per month (plus a load of voice minutes and SMSs) which I can "gift" to whichever device needs the allowance most. The price has gone up since we signed and it's not cheap but it works for us. But for the shore power loss detector I have a SIM from 1p mobile (introduced to me by someone on the Practical Boat owner forum) because it's on the EE network and for the use we make of it the cost is £30 p.a.

Sorry if this post is a bit long.

Well there are two options when searching for data packages

How much data do i need OR how much do i want to spend?

Also depends how much time they spend on their boat really

Personally id buy an unlimited data package

(y)

Scubadoo

Visit site
Forgive me for being ignorant with IT but can you put a pay as you go sim in and which sort or best deal , and how long would say 20 qwid last .
If it is just for the camera and no other use, then 12GB should cover you for the year, I have several cameras and I don't use more than 8Gb per annum, hence the 12GB Three "Data" Sim on Amazon for 12months which costs between £25 to £35 depending on when you look on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01CMD4VKC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ShaneAtSea

Visit site
If it is just for the camera and no other use, then 12GB should cover you for the year, I have several cameras and I don't use more than 8Gb per annum, hence the 12GB Three "Data" Sim on Amazon for 12months which costs between £25 to £35 depending on when you look on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01CMD4VKC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But if he uses a router he'll need more than that....if he gets an unlimited package then it can be used for navigation, laptops, ipads, netflix etc etc

(y)

Bigplumbs

Visit site
But if he uses a router he'll need more than that....if he gets an unlimited package then it can be used for navigation, laptops, ipads, netflix etc etc

(y)

Yes but to be honest many Boats just sit there in the Marina for months on end all lonely going slightly green and that Package should cover that sort of use for the camera. When being used you can tether to your phone of use what is left from the 12GB

Seastoke

Visit site
Ok the reolink and solar panel arrived today , sim tomorrow but the info says unlock the sim on your phone ,my phone can only work with my sim i think any ideas . I told you i am thick.

ShaneAtSea

Visit site
Ok the reolink and solar panel arrived today , sim tomorrow but the info says unlock the sim on your phone ,my phone can only work with my sim i think any ideas . I told you i am thick.

Take the SIM out of your phone and put the other SIM in and then follow the instructions if there are any.

Once activated take the SIM out and put it in the camera and put your SIM back in your phone

(y)

russ

Visit site
Sim and WiFi set up on my boat last week and now searching for a battery/solar camera. Seen the reolink remote but they’re quite large.
I was wanting to fix it permanently to the under side of the radar arch but nothing too low. Any other suggestions?

Seastoke

Visit site
A
Take the SIM out of your phone and put the other SIM in and then follow the instructions if there are any.

Once activated take the SIM out and put it in the camera and put your SIM back in your phone

(y)
All done , even an idiot could do it , actually an idiot has.

John100156

Visit site
With all that rain and bad weather.
We have been out for most of the month and the weather has been really good.
Not gone anywhere this year - just enjoyed the company of friends and visited some good restaurants in SC town.
Oh yes
And a little rafting party yesterday in the lagoon.

View attachment 124497

Well Mike - you could have taken a shot from the STB Quarter, that way my P45 would have looked a lot bigger.....!

Some shots below of the Lagoon 410 that run aground last week in Sant Carles, recovered to the Town boatyard :eek::eek::

Lagoon_4.jpgLagoon_2.jpgLagoon_5.jpg

Lagoon_6.jpg

Richard.C

Visit site

Hurricane

Visit site
Yep
We went around to have a look and took some similar photos.
There seems to be a bit of a mystery about how that actually happened.
We know that it was on the spit that protects the lagoon overnight but how it initially got there is a bit strange.
Owners and hand were on board when it happened.
I think some of the damage to the rudders and saildrives was done when the Salvanentor pulled it off the spit
Lots of questions!!