Security Cameras on boat

marcochi76

Visit site
Hello,
I would like to install a video camera on my boat, that I could monitor remotely through 3G/4G connection (Sim card in the camera) and that would alert me if some movement is detected on the boat.
What product would you suggest me?
THanks

jrudge

Visit site
There are many I assume. I have a mifi on the boat which is amazing - however it does log itself off after a few days. I have tried several and they all do the same. I would suggest you check with the supplier ( and test at home ) to see if whatever you buy will persist it’s internet connection over an extended period.

Hurricane

Visit site
I have an "always on" Wifi router on the boat so almost all of the cheap cameras will work.
I have just switched to Reolink cameras.
Interestingly, earlier this year, I fitted one on my radar arch with a self contained solar panel to keep its batteries charged.
See this link
Argus PT: Wireless Pan-Tilt Battery Security Camera
I am just upgrading to one of these in the cockpit - great to see when the marina staff deliver stuff that I order.
Reolink E1 Pro – 4MP Wireless Pan Tilt Smart Security Cam
About 40 quid on ebay.

But Reolink also supply cameras that connect directly to 4G/5G - not tried them but the Reolink cameras I use do everything I want.

BTW, Reolink cameras have a "mask" facility so you can choose what part of the image "triggers" an alarm.

So, why not change your requirement - fit a 3G/4G/5G router to the boat and leave it on 24/7
Or a MiFi as Jrudge suggests.
Personally, I prefer a proper 3G/4G/5G router.
Then it will be a useful internet connection when you are on the boat and would allow a WiFi security camera to operate when you are away.

BruceK

Visit site
I would split the system to give a broader choice to video camera and separate 4G WLAN Router. MiFi is great and works well within it's design use but has limitations as Jrudge pointed out.
I'd favour an industrial LTE router, the kind you find on HGV and plant fleets, some examples here, 4G Routers - 4G LTE Routers - 4Gon Solutions with external antenna.
That would give you great flexibility for choice of camera. Remember to look for one with cloud storage though. Many record to SD card which although accessible over the net wont help you if the camera gets stolen

Hurricane

Visit site
There are many I assume. I have a mifi on the boat which is amazing - however it does log itself off after a few days. I have tried several and they all do the same. I would suggest you check with the supplier ( and test at home ) to see if whatever you buy will persist it’s internet connection over an extended period.
I use one of these and it stays on 24/7 - reboots reliably after power cut.
D-LINK DWR-921 4G / 3G LTE Sim Slot Unlocked WiFi Mobile Broadband Router 4-Port 790069393532 | eBay
90 quid on ebay.
I switch off all my DC when I leave so the router is connected to shore power.

Croftie

Visit site
Hi - I have one of these on the boat. It seems to stay connected all the time. You can then use any wi-fi camera/s to connect

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07S7DMY3H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
+1
I got the cheapest version TL-MR6400 (Yorkshire man!) over a year ago works great. Re connects fine after a power cut.
If you only want internet for camera and the odd web surf, checking email etc then the best option I found was
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01M3VJ2B2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
24 GB lasts 24 months.

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
A tip I got from Hurricane way back. If you are going 4G then buy your card in the UK. This will let you watch UK TV channels without going through a VPN. Also the signal is not encrypted like a VPN so less likely to buffer in a low speed area.

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
………also I’ve noticed on my iphone on 4G (as a hotspot for my firestick) that the auto network selection doesn’t always select the network with the fastest speed. Take it off auto and play with the list of available networks.
I add
This is in the EU where EE (my UK provider) will link to various partners. In the UK I of course don’t have this option.

Last edited:

dune16

www.noforeignland.com

I have the mifi below plugged into a usb socket on my boat and it hasn't logged itself off yet and it's been over a year. I have a Eufy indoor cam running off it with cloud storage

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B011YM0OXU?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_image

ShaneAtSea

Visit site
Hello,
I would like to install a video camera on my boat, that I could monitor remotely through 3G/4G connection (Sim card in the camera) and that would alert me if some movement is detected on the boat.
What product would you suggest me?
THanks

You can buy cameras where you can insert a SIM card so you dont need a router and internet connection etc

Heres a link to an example below...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Reolink-Security-Wireless-Rechargeable-Suitable-Go-Camera/dp/B07JFWRHN3

KevinT1

Visit site
I’ve had a Reolink 4g camera and solar panel on my boat for the last 2 years - works perfectly

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07WVZF...dp_HZANDWYNX2N04QE1YP3Ds?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Comes with a Vodafone SIM card, but I’ve replaced that with an EE pay as you go SIM card at a cost of £2 per month. Sadly EE don’t understand the internet of things ( IOT ) so it’s a bit of a palaver renewing each month.

The Vodafone SIM card on pay as you go has a much better setup. But I don’t get a good signal.

stephen_h

Visit site
I have a Reolink. Worked great for a while then lost it's connection to the router
and now cannot get it back on line!

Hurricane

Visit site
I have a Reolink. Worked great for a while then lost it's connection to the router
and now cannot get it back on line!
Power it up - find the reset button, press and hold it for about 20 secs - the camera will beep and reboot.
Then follow the connection instructions to connect it again.
I've never had a Reolink camera loose its connection but I have moved one from one location to another.
I found that it needs a reset to connect to a new WiFi connection.
Apart from that, Reolink cameras seem good.