Security alarm systems

CaptainCava

Visit site
There was an excellent article in January’s Yachting Monthly about security and alarm systems for yachts. As you might expect, they all seemed to deal with internal security reasonably well by using a combination of contact sensors and PIRs etc., but it seems to me that a useful addition would be to have some method of detecting an intruder IN THE COCKPIT, BEFORE he has forced open (and probably damaged) the washboards.

I suppose a competent electrician (not me) might be able to add a PIR or Microwave sensor to the cockpit, but could that be set off by a seagull or passing yacht?

Or maybe a pressure sensor of some sort under the cockpit grating, but that would have to be small, rugged and very seawater resistant.

Any thoughts out there?

Also, one product reviewed in the YM article that caught my attention was the GSM 235 Marine Alarm by a company called GSM Secure. I sent them an email (twice) about cockpit security but didn’t get a reply, so I wonder if their product is as poor as their customer service. Does anyone have any experience of this device?

Csail

N/A
Visit site
Cheap option what i use when camping and in garden at home is a rape alarm (very cheap) with fishing line as a trip wire to the pull out pin. Very loud and works.

Robin

Visit site
We also had a shed or rape alarm fitted just inside the companionway and attached to the top washboard. This is a very noisy little device and hopefully would prevent a casual intruder as most round our way are druggies looking for quick and easy pickings rather than being dedicated boat thieves.

Down below was covered by equally an loud PIR alarm with an extension alarm also attached and in the same cabin. Cutting the lead or unplugging it from the main alarm would also set off both and the noise of both together in a confined space was quite painful.

We also fitted a flashing red LED light inside the companionway which shone a beam across like a laser detector and visible through our smoked polycarbonate hatchboards. I fitted this LED in a small plastic box which had a keyswitch visible so it didn't look like an amateur bit of kidology. The LED ran originally off small Duracells in the box bather than the main batteries but later I used an old golf trolley battery which lasted several months between charges.

First defence however was having proper warning labels 'Alarm Installed' on the hatchboards.

We fitted this lot after being done soon after we bought our last boat and before we could put a system in place as we had on the boat before it. Having been done the once, others around were done but we were left alone, so I guess our efforts worked enough to deter the casuals at least.

I thought about various booby traps like fishing line trip lines, even with a few hooks but the police said that could result in my being charged. That was about as far as their contribution went.:mad:

PS Not giving anything away as the boat is sold and gone.

allangray3

Visit site
Cockpit security

There are several items available to cover external areas, but the most controlable are infrared beam systems which are desined for external use. Also the washboards could be fitted with shock sensors whitch attach to the frame so do not restrict access. The systems can also be wireless technology so no need to rip boat apart for installation.