secondhand ssbs?

Amadis

Visit site
I am trying to find an affordable ssb suitable for email. Hoping to find a second-hand / reconditioned / clearance modal I have phoned round many dealers but have found nothing.

I am running a marine conservation project from my yacht and am on a strict budget at present. If anyone knows of any leads i'd be really grateful.

Cheers

<hr width=100% size=1>

Talbot

Visit site
do a search on SSBs through this forum. Make sure the model you get is capable of email . The Icom M700 is not. Consider becoming a radio ham and thus get access to alternative sets (Icom 706 is a suitable beast, also you will then have access to cheaper Email.
Note that if using sailmail, the cost of a pactor modem is about the same as buying an iridium phone. You can connect the iridium directly to the laptop, and although running costs are more expensive, the data rate of the iridium is much much better.
Ebay is a reasonable source for SSB (do an unrestricted search on Icom)

Dont forget that the cost of the pactor modem and of the SSB is still only abt a third of the full cost. You will need an aerial tuning unit, ground plane connections, aerial isolators for the rigging, and new back stay, plus the training for the long distance certificate. Thus if you really only need it for email, dont buy an SSB.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Sunnyseeker

Visit site
They 'were' selling very cheap new Kenwood models in the Canaries, quite a few long distance people bought these, you might even save enough to cover the air fare? they were the size of a car stereo, and you could alter them to work on all bands. Maybe they would send one from there, it was a marine electronics shop in Las Palmas Gran Canaria

<hr width=100% size=1>

Sunnyseeker

Visit site
The Kenwood model to look out for is the TS 505, they've been discontinued now but you might find a S/H one its worth a search.

<hr width=100% size=1>

MainlySteam

Visit site
Remembering that the TS505 is not a marine radio and so would be illegal if that use was required - it is only for amateur use.

John

<hr width=100% size=1>

Sunnyseeker

Visit site
I assume if you wanted to use e-mail cheaply you'd have to be a ham operator, so you'd get licenced...or like many people we know they just get any old radio and set up their own yacht to yacht nets but it also acts as another distress communication device if needed.
There was a lot of advice at the time as to how to alter the radio to allow it to work over more frequencies...several boats bought them un licenced just for ocean yacht to yacht, which makes a lot of sense. We however had run out of funds for such luxuries and were just able to listen to every body elses chatter.

<hr width=100% size=1>