Second Boat

mudlark

Visit site
I realised this was getting too long, so I have put the question first and the pre-amble last:

For year round Solent / coastal cruising with a couple of friends (SW coast) and
possibly Channel Islands/France (Summer) I am thinking of buying something like a Contessa 26 / Halcyon 27 / Trintella 29 - as the boat is going to be old (pre 1980 for sure) I want to go for the best quality I can on my budget (c.£10k + a bit more on tick) seakeeping/sailing qualities far more important than accomodation to me - what would the panel advise (possibly in light of pre-amble below).

Thanks in advance

Pre amble:

I have spent the last few weeks researching my ideal second boat - (not a spare one - I will be selling boat number one!).

Initially I was preoccupied with the fact that my mooring is more mud than water but now I have established that a reasonable cost solution to this would be a deep water swinging mooring Apr-Oct and in the local marina Nov-Mar.

Having got over that hurdle the choice of 'possible' boats in my budget range (£10k cash, and the rest on the tick) has expanded exponetially.

My main criteria is to get something that can face the Needles Channel / St Albans / Portland in worse than forecast weather - I would normally avoid venturing out in more than a forecast F4 and would obviously avoid wind against tide in these areas and per pilotage instructions in Macmillans etc.

I have been sailing an 18ft bilge keel (just under a tonne) in the Solent to St Albans area and have felt 'uncomfortable' in F5/6 (particularly when some of our motoring friends have passed close by, and especially when the fast cat ferry from Southampton did!! boat became 'sub' for short while). The wind has never been a problem in itself, just steep waves. Basically I want a faster, safer, bigger, more solid boat suited for the sort of choppy seas found in these areas.

JeremyF

Visit site
Have you dismissed the Centaur - the classic cruiser at around £12k.

If you can stretch to £15k all sorts of options open up, and the potential of lower costs of sorting things out. At 10k, a boat that can sail is likely to need a fair bit of work.

Still, its a buyers market, so look up to £15k and offer low. You never know, your offer might get accepted.

Jeremy Flynn

www.yacht-goldeneye.co.uk
New pics 11.02.02

yoda

Visit site
If sea keeping is what you want and you don't mind the length a Pioneer 9 is a great boat, very capable in bad weather and well within your budget.

Yoda

Ohdrat

Visit site
Have a look at the Achilles boats.. either the 24 foot pocket cruiser.. probably as spacious as a Contessa 26 as has a slightly more modern hull (late 70's I believe) and is also a truely seaworthy little vessel.. there is also a larger Achilles (about 28 foot I believe).. this has crossed Oceans.. I believe the 24 has done offshore cruises too.

Go for the fin keel option for sea keeping / windward performance or the twin keel for dodging about in estuaries (but still able to cope with Solent and Channel conditions.

Another boat v similar to the Contessa 26 is the Invicta 26

G

Look at the Arpege from Dufour. It was years ahead of its time.

lezgar

Visit site
If your budget is limited to buy big and very old is to buy problems. A new diesel engine, rig and sails will cost you more that you had paid for the boat.

mudlark

Visit site
Thank you for your replies, they have given me some food for thought!

A good point about the cost of replacement rig, sails and engine - I would have thought the priority order would be rig, then sails, then engine - at least a larger old boat (e.g. Contessa) with a good rig could beat to windward in a gale wheras perhaps a 23ft boat with a good engine could be in trouble (too light / short / going through the waves). I know manouvering in these conditions could be v.difficult with a dodgy engine but you have to get to the harbour first...

Which gives rise to the question, does it make much difference - 23ft v. 26ft as a rule all other things being equal?

simonjinks

Visit site
Don't forget the Bowman 26 (Contessa 26 but with standing headroom) and better accom down below.

Hard to beat the old Trintella 29 but you'll have to look hard to find one at that price.

lezgar

Visit site
When you are talking about 23 or 26 ft you are talking about LOA, but for example a Contessa 26 and a Virgo Voyager have the same waterline and both can cope without problems with bad wheather and offshore passages.

About seaworthy Dec 2001 Yachting Monthly have a good article about small boats across the Atlantic.

jamesjermain

Visit site
Invicta

If you are looking at Contessa 26s don't forget the Invicta. Designed by van de Stadt GRP Folkboat, very similar to the Contessa even down to the keyhole companionway. She has more headroom and slightly better accommodation. Also arguably a better seaboat and less of a submerine. Performance very similar. I raced one years ago and we could at worst hang on to them and often beat them. There are four and five berth versions around.
Others of the same ilk include the Folkdancer, and Saber 27. If you don't mind a bit of maintenance think of a SCOD or a StellaMoving up in size a bit, consider the Elizabethan 29, Hustler 30, Pioneer 9.

JJ

Ohdrat

Visit site
Re: 23 - 26 ft

The thing to look at is the hull form

A Contessa 26 / Invicta 26 / Bowman 26 all have long thin deep Folkboat type hulls..

Later 70's designs like the Achilles have long fin keels and have larger beams and although the LOA may be similar to those of a folkboat type their water line is often longer.. thus although the Achilles 24 is 24 ft against the 26 ers above the accomodation and seakeeping ability are similar...