Seatalk to Seatalk ng home made adapter

vas

Visit site
What do Garmin do for ethernet plugs? RJ45 or do they have something proprietary and water-resistant? Raymarine have a proprietary round connector which I prefer over RJ45 on the radar and the plotter on deck, but if I need to add anything else to the network in future I will cut the cable between them (there's a loop of it run through the back of the chart table for the purpose) and fit RJ45s and a third-party semi-rugged switch. I've already fitted RJ45s in a waterproof coupler above the headlining for the mast joint.

Pete

a simple RJ45 on a proprietary water resistant cover, that bolts and seals on the radar and plotter side.
for sure a simple RJ45 cable works as I've used it inside to connect the sounder to the plotter (1m appart on lower helm, no need for waterproofing!)

having messed about with NMEA0183, I'm VERY happy I don't need any.
but I do have 0183 to two GMIs! The 0183 signal is produced by my arduino teensy /due black box to simulate autoanchor signal and use it as a chain counter. Definitely cheaper than the grand these black boxes cost...

My problem with Garmin is that they are not happy/don't bother support NMEA2K sentences that their own kit doesn't produce.
IE, don't have EGT sensors, so 4,5,6K series plotters dont support that!
John, can you show EGT on the 8000 glass bridge kit, or you use a Maretron display for that?

cheers

V.

Hurricane

Visit site
All new kit has video feed galore hurricane. It wouldn't be a reason for choosing brand A over brand B. Imho!

I looked about a year ago and, yes, almost all do have video feeds but none, IMO were good enough for a Hi Res PC.
Indeed, the marine industry still isn't at 1K screens yet alone 4K screens.
Ok 4K is a bit extreme but (even average) TVs these days have 1920x1080 displays.
My old Raymarine ones are 1024x768 - I would like to think that the industry has moved on over the last 10 years.

Last edited:

MapisM

Visit site
My problem with Garmin is that they are not happy/don't bother support NMEA2K sentences that their own kit doesn't produce.
John, can you show EGT on the 8000 glass bridge kit, or you use a Maretron display for that?
I'd be also interested to hear from jfm if he has EGT data for his engines, albeit for completely different reasons.
In fact, I recently fiddled with the Cat engine display (MPD, as they call it) on a C12 powered boat, whose owner wasn't even aware of what EGT is and asked me to show him where to check it.
Trouble is, I couldn't find it in any of the display pages, so I eventually had to RTFM.
According to which, surprise surprise, EGT is only available when the display is interfaced with the massive 3500 series engines.
So, I assumed that C7/9/12/18/32 don't have any pyro probes installed, because it would be absurd to measure the parameter and not show it on the display.
And if that is the case (with the stress on IF, hence my question), for jfm it shouldn't be a matter of where to show the number, but rather of having it, to start with...

MapisM

Visit site
I looked about a year ago and, yes, almost all do have video feeds but none, IMO were good enough for a Hi Res PC.
True, but imho there's something to be said about NOT interfacing the dashboard with anything else, imho.
After all, even on my mid 90s old lady, I had an Android phone with a Navionics app connected to the onboard 40" FHD TV.
A 100% redundant chartplotter at no cost... What else do we really need?

prv

Visit site

That's pretty poor.

In my experience Maretron are the best at properly following N2k standards, but of course they don't make plotters.

Pete

MapisM

Visit site
In CF, nothing - only your local knowledge!!
LOL, yeah, I definitely could go by the seat of my pants (so to speak) within a 30Nm or so radius from there.
But this summer for instance we are planning to make most of the Croatian archipelago, whose exact number of islands I forgot, but is well into 4 digits ballpark.
And not having dashboard/PC integration, N2K, or any other modern trick is the last of my concerns, tbh.
If anything, I just regret that my current Raymarine radar isn't as good as the Furuno I was used to - which was 10 years older, go figure...!
I already said in the past that onboard electronics are way overrated among pleasure boaters, imho.
If old school instruments aren't good enough anymore, why are they still installed in 95% of commercial boats, some of which are out there 24/7...?

AdamCovell

Visit site
Hi ,

I have an st60 wind that is currently connected to a i70 tridata. The previous owners spliced a Seatalk ng cable into an old Seatalk 1 (black/red and yellow) cable. They did the same from the i70 back to the chart plotter (a70D) . This gave power but no data connection. I have now run a new Seatalk ng cable from i70 back to the a70D. I have depth and speed but no wind data on the chart plotter.

Is there a way to get the wind data back without installing a converter kit (E22158)? I have a spare wire and could run the st60 wind straight back to my NMEA junction box and connect it as an input into the 2nd port of the chart plotter NMEA? would this work? Its just £100 to get wind data on the chart plotter seams pricey?

thanks

Adam

jrudge

Visit site
http://busse-yachtshop.de/pdf/raymarine-ST70installationManual.pdf

I don't know the answer directly as I dont know your kit.

The secret is in the user manual.

If you look at the above Page 10 you can see it supports Seatalk and Raymarine sell a cable for this purpose.

I made my own ( its the yellow wire when you cut the cable).

As far as I know this was a transition unit for Raymarine and hence without adapters ( just a different cable) the device natively supported both standards. Not all units do - hence the need to look at the instructions and see what wiring options they give.

There may also be another method of plotter to plotter communication you can use - but as above I dont know your units.

GARESTER

Visit site
Our system is a mashup of different networks - installed 10 years ago around the same time as your SQ58.
Things have moved on since then.
However, if I was re-specifying, the network wouldn't be on the top of my wish list.
Functionality would drive my selection of kit.
For example, the top requirement when I selected my current system was a Glass Bridge system that takes lots of different video feeds - particularly feeding the ships PC to every display.
That isn't everyone's ideal but it has really worked for me.
This is the kind of thing that I would select over having a more modular network.
Although, I do see your point.
NMEA0183 should be dead but it is alive today as it was before NMEA 2000.
I realize this is an insanely old post, but I just couldn't help but reply. Yes, I suppose that 0183 should be dead 40 years later. However, this is useful to still have it available. I'm putting together a VERY cost-conscious system mainly built around Raymarine products, but also containing and utilizing several Simrad components, Garmin GPS, Smart Radio AIS, Lowrance, Actisense and more. In today's "throw it away and buy new" culture, the inclusion of such an old protocol makes it possible to still use and make use of old but still very functional equipment. I cannot afford a new $20,000 electronics package on my boat, but being able to pull together older units at bargain prices, it IS possible for me to have an incredibly comprehensive system all networked together and functioning as a single unit, sharing data and commands like they were intended to. Pete, I'm not trying to argue, even though it sounds like it. I apologize if it does. ;-)
I am a Raymarine fanboy. In the last year I've done way too much research on connectors, wires, protocols, head units and peripherals. More than any common enthusiast would like to. In the last 15 years Raymarine has made some really great new adapters and included technology into their products which makes MANY things possible . . . if one chooses to spend the time to research all the options (literally hundreds of hours) and can afford the STUPIDLY HIGH-PRICED cables, connectors and adapters. Indeed, the ST70 auto pilot head unit is a "bridging" device, making it possible to connect Seatalk 1 devices to a SeatalkNG network easily and painlessly.
I'm a complainer by nature and I DESPISE this new culture where the companies stop servicing their equipment (although I do understand why), pull all information about old products from their servers and literally force people to throw away their old stuff and buy new. It's rampant and quite blatant and deplorable (IMHO). Sony, Philips, Microsoft, Apple and several other brands are just brutal with their blatant "end of life strategies to make us buy new. However, I really have to applaud SIMRAD and Raymarine for being extremely generous and making all literature available even twenty years later.
Sorry to have high-jacked your stream.