Seastream 34

willtaylor

Visit site
Hello,

I've always quite fancied the Seastream 34, though I fear they tried to get too much into her length.
One has come up, but I can find no test reports to illuminate my investigations. Is there anyone here who has experience, a balanced view or simple prejudice they can share?
Thanks,
Will Taylor

gunnarsilins

www.eilean.se
Was very...

...interested in buying a Seatream 34 a couple years ago. Copyshop has reprints from some tests made a long time ago. Check with them.
I had almost decided the Seastream 34 was the boat for me, but during almost a years search no one went on the market. So I lost my patience, stretched my funds a bit and got a Moody 42 ketch instead.

Bergman

Visit site
Re: Was very...

Would be very interested in your thoughts on the Moody.

Look a nice boat but never had chance to sail in one.

gunnarsilins

www.eilean.se
Moody 42

I´m talking of the old Primrose design from late 70-ies. Very roomy and spatious. Pretty well planned interior. 6 persons can live very comfortable onboard during longer periods with privacy and without feeling cramped.
Major drawback is, you must pass a long and high bridgedeck when moving between cockpit and deckhouse. Dangerous passage, especially with an unexpected gybe.
She could have some more sail area, but with the big engine, why bother in light airs? With a decent breeze she could be unexpected fast, but is not the highest pointer. Very nice for long distance cruising, well balanced, good course stability and comfortable movement when the going goes rough.
The decksaloon with it´s interior steering position is fantastic, especially in the cold Swedish climate. A cold, wet and boring nightwatch suddenly becomes pleasant. Adjust the sheets, put the autohelm on, go inside, put the kettle on, get a good book, seat yourself comfortably and peer around the horizon now and then. Okey, maybe not when crossing the channel, but in the more or less deserted Baltic sea it´s perfect! I had her for three years now, sailed more than 3500 miles and I´m more than pleased!
I´m great fan of the ketch rig as well. Mostly I sail with my wife and my 8 and 13 years old daughters. I regard the ketch rig as ideal when shorthanded, with all the possible combinations of sail instead of reefing. Surely a sloop with inmast furling would do the trick even better - but then we talk of younger boats, with another price tags. And you´ll miss the beauty of the ketch!

Other threads that may be of interest