Sealing impellor cover

Petercatterall

Visit site
I had a drip from the impellor cover on my Perkins 4108. ( unlike an earlier post I can access it with ease)
I had replaced the impellor after winter lay up and used no seal as there was not one on before.
Is there a seal for these punps? just a paper one I guess. I considered using nonsetting gasket goo but am concerned that this will squeeze inward and foul the impellor.
I notice that although the impellor is pushed well on the rubber extends perhaps 0.5mm beyond the pump flange, this may be taken care of by the slight recess which is machined in the cover plate. Does this seem reasonable (apart from said leak it all worked OK with no apparent damage to the impellor.
Any advice welcome.
I would like to get hold of a set of screws for the pump as the orginals are a bit dodgy I cant locate the right size locally, can they be ordered?
Are the kits which enable you to remove the cover by hand any use?
I did drill a hole in the bulkhead to help access to the screw head.
Thanks... in anticipation of the usual helpfull response!!

<hr width=100% size=1>

colvic

Visit site
If it is a Jabsco pump then they'll deal with you direct and supply gasket, screws which on our old one were round head slotted BA threaded ones. AMC diesel, 01772 611144, may also be able to help. After that, try www.boatsandoutboards.com

Phil

<hr width=100% size=1>

DeeGee

Visit site
I fitted a speedseal http://www.speedseal.com/ two years ago, one of the best things I did. It has a thin o-ring to replace the need for a paper gasket, and can be whipped off in seconds to check the impeller state from time to time. Changing the impeller in anger would be dead easy, but I haven't had to yet. I would recomm it to anyone (no, I have no shares in the company!).

The impeller should normally stand proud, to seal the face of the pump, whatever cover you use.

<hr width=100% size=1>Black Sugar - the sweetest of all

dickh

Visit site
Yes, Yes & Yes to a SpeedSeal - see their website - search on Google. I fitted one about 4 years ago, jumped on the boat after arriving late, started the engine(forgetting to open the seacock) as I wanted to catch the tide, about 3 minutes later thought the exhaust sounded louder than usual - AAGH!!! - stopped engine, rushed below, whipped off Speed Seal cover - thumb screws, no tools required, no vanes left on impellor - pushed on new impellor, refitted cover, opened seacock and started engine. - I estimate it took just over a minute. I did have the spare impellor hanging in the engine compartment with a pair of pliers so m=no hunting for tools.
All I have to do now is check the heat exchanger to find the missing vanes.....

<hr width=100% size=1>dickh
I'd rather be sailing... :) /forums/images/icons/smile.gif