Sealine & Fairline

LordJohn

Visit site
Whilst it is very sad to see substantial redundancies announced at Sealine and Fairline it is also interesting that MBY reported in the November issue that "the orders were still piling in" at the Southampton Boat Show. This sounded like nonsense at the time and has now been proven to be so. Why would the boating market, with the possible exception of Super Yachts, be immune from the economic slow down. It is disappointing that MBY allow themselves to be so easily misled. Perhaps some sound investigative journalism might not go amiss.

alt

Visit site
Sloppy journalism. The customers who actually pay for the magazine are the bigger idiots imho, paying these muppets wages'

mainshiptom

Visit site
I think you missed the point?

Orders of one new model at the middle to top of range still leaves lots of other models on the shelf?

There is no credit crunch for people which do not need to borrow?

look at car sales either bottom of the range like the fiat 500 or top of the range !

Tom

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Yes quite right, all the bullsh"t about record sales and borrowing, then 2 weeks later more companies going belly up in the marine trade, its by no means over yet, ive heard about 2 more this morning having meetings with banks and directors, one has also closed one of its east coast branches or is closing it on the brink as we speak, will update when concrete.

rickp

Visit site
There was a thread with a spirited defence of the turnout at SIBS by Richard_Shead and Nautical - here. Wonder if they want to revise their views?

Rick

LordJohn

Visit site
Just a further thought; boat prices have soared over the last few years well ahead of inflation so maybe the boat manufacturers will get a reality check.

mainshiptom

Visit site
True but there will be a Wunch of bankers soon that will be without a job and time on thier hands so its either golf or a new boat?

Tom /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Richard Shead

Slipped Anchor
Visit site
And you point is Rick? you seem to have it in for me for some reason, I tell it like it is having done many shows only comment on what I see or experience.

SBS for us was ok not the best but by far not the worse.

Just finished up Annapolis Sailboat Show thinking it would be an utter waste of time but once more proved to be an ok show.

I am not a journalist I simply comment on what I experience.

Also maybe I should not comment on posts at 0800 in the morng but I am getting the arse.

PowerYachtBlog

www.poweryachtblog.com
just for the record Genoa had 315.000 visitors on Sunday, 6 hours before closing
if that number is near that would be 5% less to last year, not by anything catostrophic, seeing the stock market had its worst week ever, that is still a tremendous result
builders admitted of having 25% less closed contracts compared to the previous year, with the more difficult cake going to the smaller and less expensive boats

gjgm

Visit site
thats right. I think MBY should get some journos from the Sun. Then we know its hard facts, right?
Quite what do you expect them to do? Ask Sealine for a look at the SBS order book, and a set of accounts to verify any verbal comments?
And just bcz SBS might have been very good, that doesnt mean it was enough to sustain an annual production.
Cant see what you are so up tight about.

Hurricane

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
boat prices have soared over the last few years well ahead of inflation

[/ QUOTE ]
Dont believe that the REAL inflation figure is the 2% or 3% that the government has been releasing over the last few years - It definately isnt.
IMO the real figure for inflation is probably closer to 7% or 8% per anum.
Over the last 10 years, if the government didnt like the way inflation was going - they simply changed the rules and how inflation was calculated - thus taking out the things they didnt like to count.

So, although boat prices have risen, IMO its because they are reflecting the REAL price increases year on year. If you think about it its frightening whats going on.

mjf

w.london - boat on solent- RIB on Tidal Thames
Visit site
Re: Sealine & Fairline

I do not think you need to have a degree in Biz studies to see that if broker like EBY had a couple of new targa 38 on the hard ''for Sale'' and a couple of brand new undelv. Sq 58's too the writing is on the wall. remeber the 38 is new model.

With stock like that hanging about waiting to be sold - what's next at the factory?

holderone

Visit site

I have spoken with two brokers about SIBs and they both said the same thing orders were generally non existant, certainly not enough to maintain current production levels and the brokerage market is only really moving for cash purchasers who are generally putting in low offers and having them accepted. With the exchange rates and too much uncertainty in the markets its not going to change any time soon, also with many distributers who are holding stock boats on credit they are keen to simply get their money back at the moment to free cash. Short term I am sure many will struggle to get any more credit in these difficult times.

PowerYachtBlog

www.poweryachtblog.com

boats have also been going with a terrible demand in the last decade so apart from inflation and rising oil costs, one needs to count that in
boats have doubled in the last 10 years
a new Fairltine 55 Squadron costed about 600.000 UK Pound in 1998 new model is 1.000.000, that is a 40% increase
the situation in small under 10 metres boat on the contrary is more difficult
on the other hand you find builders while not being as plushy as Fairline can still keep a great price with infalation going in, and a fine example in all this would be Cranchi, which does not sound strange that they sold 1100 model of the 34 Zaffiro as at end 2007
the French also do a good job in keeping steady competitive price
what I dont understand in the last 7/8 years the urge from British builders who where competitive in price, like Sealine which where very competitive a few years back being cheaper then Cranchi at the time but also Princess this big hurry to increment price...