Sealine experts - 1990s 450 Statesman question

Whitelighter

Visit site
What years were these built? Loads (6 or 7) from 1991/92 and then the odd random boat that is apparently a 1997 but not much in between.

What numbers where these built in and do they all have the TAMD72 Volvo motors.

Thanks

Elessar

Visit site
Thanks David.

Odd there is only one for sale from 1993-1997, perhaps they didn't sell that we'll.

Am I right in saying these evolved into the T46?

T46 replaced it yes but they are completely different not just the 410 / F43 type evolution. Layout essentially the same though.

The handbook for the 390 and the 450 is the same. Needless to say i have one!

Try asking on the sealine forum.

halcyon

Visit site
Thanks David.

Odd there is only one for sale from 1993-1997, perhaps they didn't sell that we'll.

Am I right in saying these evolved into the T46?

A lot were exported from memory, someone has lost the 450 switch panel serial number sheet, so I cannot tell you, but they only ran at around 1 a month, the 390 / 410 was a bigger seller, though the switch gear was the same.

Brian

D

Deleted User YDKXO

T46 replaced it yes but they are completely different
Yup they cocked it up with the T46 turning the spacious and well laid out boat that was the 450 into something much more cramped. I guess when the 390/410/F43 came along, buyers realised that they could get nearly the same space and layout as the 450 for less money which probably explains why 450/T46 sales tailed off. Having said that, the 450 was the boat that pioneered the excellent Sealine aft cockpit/aft cabin layout so it's a bit of a classic IMHO

Elessar

Visit site
Yup they cocked it up with the T46 turning the spacious and well laid out boat that was the 450 into something much more cramped. I guess when the 390/410/F43 came along, buyers realised that they could get nearly the same space and layout as the 450 for less money which probably explains why 450/T46 sales tailed off. Having said that, the 450 was the boat that pioneered the excellent Sealine aft cockpit/aft cabin layout so it's a bit of a classic IMHO

yep, T46 saloon feels smaller than my 390, i think it actually is smaller. They put the space into the cabins and deck.

Mrs E likes the big window in the T46 aft cabin though. Easy winter project for mine, but I really need to start making the "to do" list smaller not bigger!

As for the 450, in 1990 it would have been seriously big. Wonder what the biggest fairline was in 1990, anyone know?

D

Deleted User YDKXO

As for the 450, in 1990 it would have been seriously big. Wonder what the biggest fairline was in 1990, anyone know?

IIRC, Fairline's biggest boat at the time was the Fairline 50 flybridge which was a seriously big boat from the days when a 50ft boat was a 50ft boat not a 40 footer with 5ft of metal sticking out the front and 5ft of grp sticking out the back:)

Elessar

Visit site
IIRC, Fairline's biggest boat at the time was the Fairline 50 flybridge which was a seriously big boat from the days when a 50ft boat was a 50ft boat not a 40 footer with 5ft of metal sticking out the front and 5ft of grp sticking out the back:)

well sealine was hardly overdoing bathing platforms at the time, and only 4' shorter.

edit - just noticed nearly 2.5 mpg @ 25 knots! They didn't say it was per engine did they, even so 1.25 is a fairy dust figure for a 12 tonne boat.
edit again - just noticed the DID say per engine !!

edit yet again, during all this editing Mike made a more useful observation

Capture-7.jpg

Last edited:
D

Deleted User YDKXO

well sealine was hardly overdoing bathing platforms at the time, and only 4' shorter.
Interesting data especially the fuel consumption figures, if they are to be believed, which demonstrates that there has been little progress on reducing fuel consumption over the years. According to these figures, the 450 achieves well over 1mpg at 20-25kts which a modern 45-50 footer would struggle to match

mitchc

Visit site
They are fantastic boats, we've had ours for nearly 7 years! Most came with the 380 71B engines.
TBH there's nothing I'd like to change on ours, everyone who comes aboard is amazed at how much room there is.
Unfortunately due to our planned move, ours is for sale:
http://www.burtonwaters.co.uk/used-boats-for-sale/boat-details.php?BoatID=4159701
Any questions about the 450 please ask, I know them quite well.

mitchc

Visit site
Interesting data especially the fuel consumption figures, if they are to be believed, which demonstrates that there has been little progress on reducing fuel consumption over the years. According to these figures, the 450 achieves well over 1mpg at 20-25kts which a modern 45-50 footer would struggle to match

Yep we get about 1mpg, and still hit 30 knots with a clean bottom!

D

Deleted User YDKXO

They are fantastic boats, we've had ours for nearly 7 years! Most came with the 380 71B engines.
TBH there's nothing I'd like to change on ours, everyone who comes aboard is amazed at how much room there is.
http://www.burtonwaters.co.uk/used-boats-for-sale/boat-details.php?BoatID=4159701

Thats a lot of boat for the money and she looks in great condition too. Good luck with selling her

Elessar

Visit site

she looks very nice. Unusual to see separate gear throttle arrangements on a British boat, I quite like it myself having owned american boats in the past, but I've never seen a Sealine configured that way.

mitchc

Visit site
she looks very nice. Unusual to see separate gear throttle arrangements on a British boat, I quite like it myself having owned american boats in the past, but I've never seen a Sealine configured that way.

I like the separate gears/throttles too, seen a few British boats with this set up. I think it was a early 90's fad?
They seem to disappear after about '93....

Elessar

Visit site
I like the separate gears/throttles too, seen a few British boats with this set up. I think it was a early 90's fad?
They seem to disappear after about '93....

my 390 is a 92 MY built september 91 with single lever controls. I have the build sheet and it wasn't an option, so that's how it came as standard.

mitchc

Visit site
my 390 is a 92 MY built september 91 with single lever controls. I have the build sheet and it wasn't an option, so that's how it came as standard.
Not sure then.
The GRP mouldings to take the separate controls all look original on ours? Maybe it was build option on the 450?
Anyway they work well once you get used to them....

halcyon

Visit site
Not sure then.
The GRP mouldings to take the separate controls all look original on ours? Maybe it was build option on the 450?
Anyway they work well once you get used to them....

I remember four lever, was it related to being on shafts and the gearbox at the time.

The 390 was a cut down 450 for interest, the hull design was by Bennett.

Brian