Seahawk Down The Conclusion

Risa

Visit site
Many thanks to all for the advice on potential leak sources. ITS THE P BRACKET.

Ituated under the water tank cant tell if its bolted through or glassed in. If bolted is it seated on a gasket or sikaflex. if its glassed in how do I make a repair?

Is it something I can live with till the end of teh season or am I in danger???

Any advice would be gratefully rcd

It is a 1988 B/K Westerly Seahawk

Many thanks in anticipation

<hr width=100% size=1>

Moose

Visit site
I don't know the whole story, but anything to do with Sea water leaking into a hull should be dealt with pronto IMHO.

<hr width=100% size=1>
moosewalk.gif

Moose

BrendanS

Visit site
Spent Saturday evening finding a space to moor up in Cowes with three other boats.. Harbour master put us into Shepards (I won't mention the cold showers in the morning!) Spent an hour drinking a cold beer or two watching the Sunseeker next door sinking and rising.

Harbour master staff and owner pumping it out, with water running down the steps at stern. Got it under control, opened up rear garage, got out jet ski, and got underneath. Something was leaking. Put in battery and pump, and by the time we went off for food was under control. When we came back later at night, with garage door up, was almost swamped and sunk by rib who was belting up and down (chased by harbour master boat) and tossed us all around

Seemed it wasn't a holed hull, just something leaking badly

<hr width=100% size=1>Err, let me know if Depsol enters the forum, I'll go and hide

Robin

Visit site
Normally P brackets are glassed in place internally and reinforced with webs fore/aft. Where the bracket passes through the hull is normally sealed with mastic, sometimes glassed over part way down the bracket. The cure is probably to remove any glass over the outside at the root of the bracket, dig out any old mastic and refill with new. It can either be smoothed over outside or glassed over again to say a couple of inches down the bracket, but sealing glassfibre to bronze is never perfect so this is cosmetic rather than for additional waterproofing. Since you have a bilge keel Seahawk why not dry out somewhere for an inspection, if you have tools and fresh mastic available you may well be able to do the job at the same time (except glassing over). I would take advice but since the area around the strut may not have time to dry out completely would use a moisture curing mastic like Boatlife Lifecaulk which will also cure underwater. Whilst you are at it, check the strut for damage, the problem may have originated from a rope around the prop.

<hr width=100% size=1>