Seago oil extractor pump

Tethys

Liveaboard (with CornishSailor) in the Mediterrane
Visit site
I have a Seago oil extractor pump that does eventually remove the expected quantity from the sump, but it takes about 20 minutes of regular pumping to achieve this. I thought that once the vacuum had been created, no or little further pumping would be required. Am I wrong, or is there possibly a fault with the pump?

Thanks,

VicS

Visit site
I have a Seago oil extractor pump that does eventually remove the expected quantity from the sump, but it takes about 20 minutes of regular pumping to achieve this. I thought that once the vacuum had been created, no or little further pumping would be required. Am I wrong, or is there possibly a fault with the pump?

Thanks,
You are right. A few more pumps maybe as the reservoir fills

Not holding its vacuum I'd guess.
Faulty pump or a dodgy seal elsewhere allowing air to enter.

Cheaper than the Pela. maybe not so good/ well made

Warming the oil before you try to extract it will make the process much quicker.

Vara

Visit site
Certainly my Pela doesn't need pumping during a 4.5l oil pump out.

You can pump out cold oil but it does take a long time. Did it a couple of years ago.

Plevier

Visit site
The Seago one I have seen is actually a badged one from Silverline tools, which are let's say basic.
I have the Silverline one like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silverlin...044?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2ebe697d6c
You do have to screw the pump in very tightly to seal and it's not 100%, I do keep pumping intermittently while emptying.
Does the job though. Takes a couple of minutes or so to pump out my VP2020.
The Pela may well be better quality - you usually get what you pay for!

Tethys

Liveaboard (with CornishSailor) in the Mediterrane
Visit site
Thanks

Thanks for the replies. The Seago pump does look all but identical to the Silverline one mentioned. I seem to remember buying the Seago on the strength of it doing quite well in a YM test...

I do always run the engine for a while to warm the oil. I'll make sure the pump is screwed in really tightly next time and check for leaks elsewhere. If same result I'll have to conclude it's faulty!

prv

Visit site
You do have to screw the pump in very tightly to seal and it's not 100%

That's interesting - I have the Pela and it doesn't involve screwing anything. The pump is a loose fit on top of the valve, the valve is just a press fit onto the top of the container with a rubber seal in between, and the vacuum holds everything together. Been using mine for years without a leak. The only problem I had was when I tried to use it to drain the engine bilge and got a lump of debris jammed in the tube - my own silly fault.

Pete