Seafarer Depth Sounder

tgalea

Visit site
Hi again.

We have one of these old Seafarer depth sounders which came with the boat we bought recently.

Basically to go straight to the point this thing reads always - ZERO ! Something i found strange is that the sensor / transducer is covered in antifouling too. Is that normal ?

At this stage would you suggest i try find a replacement sensor or would i be saving more money just buying something else ?

If you suggest i go for new.. any suggestested models? Nothing too fancy and expensive just something functional thats all.

Thanks once again.

Tyrone.

G

uniden makes a very simple and cheap ($100) sounder complete with transducer that is simply glued to the inside of your hull ( assuming your hull is solid glass). no new holes in you hull and its accurate and reliable.

krgds

pearlfish

G

firstly, the transducer should be kept clean! no antifouling, and preferable no marine growth.

If the transducer is U/S, then the NASA replacement transducer is suitable £22.

Or for a cheapish replacement with digital displays, consider either NASA or Silva Star. (I'm about to fit a Silva system to my boat if thats a recommendation)

Yes, we sell all of the above.

kev
KM Electronics
www.yachtbits.co.uk

mickp

Visit site
Lots of boats have these type echo sounders, so you should be able to pick up a second hand one, alternatively the Eagle fishfinder makes a good echo sounder and the screen give more info they are very reasonably priced too.

ccscott49

Visit site
Theres a guy in Southampton area who repairs these echo sounders, and has new transducers, the advert is always in the back of PBO or YM, sorry don't know it offhand.

milltech

www.iTalkFM.com
Through most of Seafarers latter years Nasa made the transducers for them, and all will be compatible with a Nasa Tranducers. Considering that you can buy a new Target II from Nasa for £79.95 or less I would suggest it's hardly worth bothering with.

The other advantage is that you can plug the Seafarer transducer straight into the back of the Target and if it works you've just saved yourself an instalation job and acquired a spare all in one go.

Finally, yes it should be clean and can be antifouled with the rest of the boat. I assume the boat is wood or steel if the transducer is "thru hull", in which case it should also have some kind of protective fairing around it to protect it against knocks.

www.allgadgets.co.uk

John

ccscott49

Visit site
The fairing mustn't be a tight fit, or it stops the transducer head transmitting correctly. Just as an aside!

BarryH

Visit site
If your unit is u/s. I've got a Nasa Stingray twin that is no longer used. It was used for one season and the transducer was never installed as the boat already had a seafarer tranducer installed. Give me a PM if yours is u/s

johmal

Visit site
The rotor type echo sounders always read zero - because that is when they send the sound signal. What you look for is the return signal. This is picked up by the transducer, and generates the next signal - giving you the depth reading.

Have you tried playing with the gain control - to see if you get a return signal. The trick is to turn the gain control up till you get a steady signal. If you turn it up too much you will get signals all over the place. (NB I assume you tried the echo sounder with the boat in the water).

johmal

Visit site
Rotro type echo sounders always read zero. That is when the sond signal is transmitted. The transduecer then listens fro the return, and causes the second flash - which gives you the depth reading.

Have you tried playing with the gain control. (And I assume you were in the water when you tested it!0

tgalea

Visit site
hi pearlfish,

thanks for your post re: depthsounder. Any website etc where i can have a look at this uniden sounder ?

Thanks

Tyrone.

chaz4sails

Visit site
Does anyone know where I can get PP9 batteries for my seafarer echosounder? I have bought Panasonic ones but they do not seem to have the power to get the signal. They just about get the rotator to go round but no return signal. The echsounder is not faulty!

Refueler

Visit site
Does anyone know where I can get PP9 batteries for my seafarer echosounder? I have bought Panasonic ones but they do not seem to have the power to get the signal. They just about get the rotator to go round but no return signal. The echsounder is not faulty!

My Seafarer was able to have 12V plugged in or the PP9 internally ...

As Roger asks - consider using a Step-Down if you don't have 12v facility on it.

Jacana139

Visit site
I bought 2 EverReady PP9s from Homebase during fitting out this year. Both my Seafarer and my Grundig Yacht Boy use them. Both ancient. Both still working!