Seacocks

brians

Visit site
Just been quoted £750 to replace 2no 3/4" and 1 no 11/2" fittings. Bronze fittings & DZR ballvalves. How does that sound? On the Hamble.

ianj99

Visit site
It sounds like you need to get your hands dirty and do it yourself. Check ASAP Supplies for the prices to see how much you could save.

VicS

Visit site
Between £90 and £100 for the skin fittings and valves (but not including new hose tails, anther £40 - £50)

If the boat is in the water you will have to add the cost of slipping or lifting

Last edited:

macd

Visit site
+1.
Even if each assembly plus new hoses cost £100 (which it probably won't), that's £450 for the fitter for at most a day's work (although it would take the OP rather longer).
The only rider to add is that if access is poor, it'll obviously take longer than otherwise. But even cutting out the old fittings and banging them through isn't hugely time-consuming, and is probably what the fitter quoted on.
Incidentally, I'm not sure there's much point in using bronze through-hulls and DZR elsewhere, although the difference in price seems to be quite small (between Seaflow items at ASAP).

Last edited:

SimonD

Visit site
I've just had two 3/4 inch seacocks replaced. Bronze with new hosetails. Not got the bill yet, but the estimate was £59.95 for the bits and £120 labour (both plus VAT). That's 3 hours labour.

If I were you, I'd get off the Hamble!

pvb

Visit site
Just been quoted £750 to replace 2no 3/4" and 1 no 11/2" fittings. Bronze fittings & DZR ballvalves. How does that sound? On the Hamble.

Sounds about right for the Hamble. The bits alone are around £140, excluding hosetails. I think many people who look after their own boats are blissfully unaware of the actual labour rates charged by boatyards. There's also the fact that for parts of the job two guys would be needed. When I sold my HR last year, the surveyor wanted 4 DZR seacocks replacing (3 x 1.25" and 1 x 0.5") including the bronze skin fittings on two of them, and new hosetails, elbows, etc. The bill was £871, which the buyer was happy to pay.

ClaireDuet

littleyachtduet.com

Is that including a lift out? That is mental!

I replaced 2 no 3/4" ones last year, cost me no more than 40 quid as I already had some sikaflex. Needed someone on the outside holding the skin fitting with the end of a spanner while I undid it from the inside but it was not difficult. Just basic plumbing really... You need a couple of big scanners and a wrench and a hammer. (If you're lucky.)

If you're unlucky and they are seized and won't undo (anticlockwise) even after a few judicial whacks with a hammer and a blow with a heat gun you'll also need something to cut the skin fitting off the outside with which is a bit more scary but still doable.

Took me no more than half a day, plus sikaflex drying time. Proud moment when she was relaunched and didn't leak a drop.

And I'm a girl... You can do it if you have the time :)

Last edited:

Tranona

Visit site
The problem with this sort of job is that it varies so much from boat to boat. On some boats access is really easy and you can replace a whole fitting and valve in less than an hour. On others the access is terrible which makes the job much more difficult and time consuming. To change the toilet and shower valves on my Bavaria needs a hunchback midget with vice like fully articulated fingers. The 1 1/2" one alone took an experienced person half a day to do.

So, although the material costs are predictable, labour depends on the specific job. Add to that the high hourly rate where your boat is and it is not difficult to arrive at the sort of figure you have been quoted.