sea toilet pump action

lanerboy

Visit site
hi all

after using the toilet for the 1st time last week i found it very stiff to work and the plunger makes an awfull sqeeking noise when used

can i lubricate the plunger with anything or could this damage any seals that are in there

i think the kids may struggle a bit with it, i have added the pic as i don't know what type of toilet it is

IMG_0006.jpg

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
hi all

after using the toilet for the 1st time last week i found it very stiff to work and the plunger makes an awfull sqeeking noise when used

can i lubricate the plunger with anything or could this damage any seals that are in there

i think the kids may struggle a bit with it, i have added the pic as i don't know what type of toilet it is

IMG_0006.jpg

It's easier to fit a new pump assembly, 6 screws, 2 pipes and your done.

We can have a go at blocking it Saturday, though I doubt anything will be solid as you seem a bit nervous at handling the boat!!

pete1987

Visit site
Service kits are cheap and easy to fit, but I've heard that a generous helping of cooking oil down the pan helps to lubricate the valves. Haven't tried this myself mind you so see if anyone here confirms that!

My advice would be to bin the lot and invest in an electric flush loo. Manual ones are fine for boaters, but if you get your friends onboard who aren't familiar with sea toilets you spend more time than is enjoyable in the heads flushing the toilet for them! Lovely

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
My quiet flush jabsco is probably one of the best things I've ever bought for my boat, as long as you allow plenty of water down it it's never been a problem, unlike the manual flush in the guest heads where I spent 2 nights last week unblocking it and it was only toilet paper in the pipe. The fresh water left in the new one means it never smells on the first flush after a week away.

tamarix

Visit site
+1 for cooking oil it does work .........for a couple of weeks ,but a complete new toilet is only £100 from Force 4.

Last edited:

tamarix

Visit site
Yeap pour it in pump it out it'll feel like new ........for a while certainly last the weekend ,as for replacing the pump easy job 4 screws £55 or complete toilet bowl ,seat,pump £100 and 6 screws .

LionsDen

www.bbiuk.com
will sort new toilet pump out but regards cooking oil do you just poor some down the bog ?????????? if so this will do for this weekend

Do you mean have a good curry!!! ;)

On a serious note we always use marine toilet paper as this does not block the toilet :D
Also when we leave the boat for a few days we put a bucket of normal water down the pan to remove any salt water - in the winter we leave the salt water in after flushing it through so the pipes do not freeze.
Marine toilet cleaner also helps remove any smells - do not use normal bleach etc otherwise you will screw the system up :D

Lastly make sure shmbo does not put anything down the pan unless she wants to clear the blockage herself :rolleyes:

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
Have you considered the Jabsco electric conversion. It works well BUT it is incredibly noisy. Also beware if you are thinking about a more modern Tecma quiet flush toilet. The S37 has a stringer right under the plinth which prohibits under the toilet maserators/pumps.

Let me know if you find anything to fit. I've been looking for years now to find something quieter.

Last edited:

PaulGooch

www.boat-fishing.co.cc
Have you considered the Jabsco electric conversion. It works well BUT it is incredibly noisy. Also beware if you are thinking about a more modern Tecma quiet flush toilet. The S37 has a stringer right under the plinth which prohibits under the toilet maserators/pumps.

Let me know if you find anything to fit. I've been looking for years now to find something quieter.

+1 for the Jabsco conversion. Direct fit in five minutes, plus just running a couple of wires to it. Not easy to block, as it has a built in macerator. Definitely not quiet though :D

PCUK

Visit site
Don't change the pump as you will still need to put cooking oil in it once it has been left for a couple of weeks. Lubricating the toilet with cooking oil every month or so is part of the boat's regular maintenance routine.

gjgm

Visit site
I see you need to get to the Continent, where even in the marina it seems ok to just "go" off the swim platform ;)