Sea state slight to moderate

Rhylsailer99

Visit site
I did my first major sail to the Isle of man wind forecast was gusts 20-25mph and sea state slight to moderate on the shipping forecast, wave height on predict wind 1-1.5m.
I would say after half way the wind picked up and I was average 5-6knots but the waves were huge and defo seemed more than 1.5m.

Then I got really bad after taking a sturgeon pill , my eyes was rolling in the back of my head as I struggled to stay awake. I made it there and on the way back 5 days later I waited for better weather, and will never take a sea sickness pill again .
I was fine with just ginger shots on the way back and eating plenty of food with lots of drinks.

Last edited:

wonkywinch

Visit site
There are several different ways to combat sea sickness. It's worth trying other drugs to see how they affect you. Stugeron is "cinnarizine" and ideally taken before the voyage.

seasick.jpg

neil_s

Visit site
Well done! - I haven't been outside the harbour all season. I keep Stugeron on board, but it's for other people - I do the biscuits and snacks trick that worked for you.

Boathook

Visit site
I'm trying to work out the wind speed as those mentioned gusts are storm strength

Sturgeon sends me to sleep so I stopped using it years go. Ginger biscuits seem to work and just eating some food. Cooking the food I would not do until you get your 'sealegs'.

Rhylsailer99

Visit site
I'm trying to work out the wind speed as those mentioned gusts are storm strength

Sturgeon sends me to sleep so I stopped using it years go. Ginger biscuits seem to work and just eating some food. Cooking the food I would not do until you get your 'sealegs'.
Biggest gusts i recorded on my wind instrument was around 25mph, average wind speed was 15-20mph all the way. Original post was a typo error.

Rhylsailer99

Visit site
Biggest gusts i recorded on my wind instrument was around 25mph, average wind speed was 15-20mph all the way. Original post was a typo error.
They made very sleepy, i was slapping myself in the face trying to keep my eyes open, I will never take pills again. I find I am usually ok if I stay on the tiller with the wind in my face and look at the horizon.

Gixer

Visit site
Stugeron (Cinnarizine) send me to sleep where as Kwells (Hyoscine Hydrobromide) works and has no side effects except for slightly dry mouth.

Aeolus

Visit site
Waves always seem bigger from the deck of a small boat. I don't know for sure but it may be a similar effect to the way we see a full moon when it's near the horizon - it looks huge but if you photograph it, it looks much smaller in the photo. Waves also look smaller in photos than in 'real life'.

I find the best way to avoid seasickness is to keep my eyes focused on the sea and the horizon. I avoid as much as possible looking at the boat, the instruments, anything written, my phone. And if I have to go below deck for any reason, I keep my eyes closed - fortunately I know where pretty much anything I might need is stored so can do this. Seasickness is caused by contradictory inputs from the eyes and the ears - if you look at something on the boat, it isn't moving relative to you so your eyes tell the brain that you and it are static. Whereas the movement and balance sensors in your ears tell your brain that you're moving. The poor old brain gets confused and triggers the symptoms we label seasickness.

johnalison

Visit site
Well done.

As others have said sea sickness pills should be taken well before sailing.

Hope you took lots of pictures of these monster waves.
I have tried to take pictures of monster waves. They end up looking like the worst your garden pond could do. It is hard even to get a photo of a wave breaking the horizon, unless you are of of those nutters who go off into the ocean for fun.

Other threads that may be of interest