Sea sick crew.

Andy Cox

Visit site
Well, to be more precise, a sea sick wife!

There are certain sea conditions that can create a most uncomfortable motion on board and my wife has a propensity for turning bright green and then feeding the fish :disgust:.

She's tried travel sickness tablets that do help sometimes but I'm now wondering what others have found to work in similar circumstances.

Thanks
Andy

Greg2

Visit site
Stugeron is supposed to be good. A keen sailor I know swore by it to get him through the first day or two of an Ocean passage until he got his sea legs.

BruceK

Visit site
has she tried Sturgeron and keeping busy, driving the boat?

The best answer by far! Helming the boat is the best prevention when your crew first starts to feel ill. Never known it to fail.
Sturgeron is also brilliant, the only thing I can add is to start taking it the night before. It makes one very drowsy on first taking and can ruin a day, perfect as a sleeping tablet too. By the next morning those effects have worn off and the next dose seals the job. My eldest adult daughter gets seasick in a mill pond. This little bit has her chipper and eager.

Andy Cox

Visit site
Yes, I'm fairly sure she has tried Sturgeon but not as you've suggested Bruce. That clearly needs further experimenting with.

She has no interest in helming and in fact that is one thing I do want her to be able to do so she would know how to react if I fell ill, or worse, whilst on passage. This sounds like a good way of getting her more involved in helming.

Bart, I've just looked at the Seaband and will be ordering a pair for her to try.
Thanks
Andy

Gwylan

Visit site
Google antihistamines and motion sickness.

There was some research in Germany. Takes a longer cycle of low dose that has been effective with crew. Also for me at the start of the season and e tended trips.

Being on deck and active really works.

Off to try and find the link.

BartW

www.amptec.be
Bart, I've just looked at the Seaband and will be ordering a pair for her to try.
Thanks
Andy

my wife swears with sea bands, but she started using them in the same period when we fitted stabilisers ... ;-)
we have plenty onboard and use them also for guests (they are washable)

Portofino

Visit site
Re: Sea sick crew

Trying to use mech terms for the biology.
Your inner ear sensor does balance three fluid filled tubes at 90 degrees from each other , more of less one in each plane , like spirit levels .
They send signals to the balance ECU in the brain .
Next door to that ECU is general poison detector ECU .
The unbiblical or wiring is a multi pin cored thing with various connectors .
A bad earth of moisture can short between the two ECU s .

So for some people the messages from the tilt / motion sensors in the ear end up accidentally cross connecting with the poison sensors .The poison ECU gets multiple inputs from other sensors like your eyes .
It’s trying to make sense of the signals ( huge amounts of data going to the next door motion ECU ) - some leaking across .
Now this is the crucial part in the ABSENCE of any eye sight data that collaborates correctly with the huge motion data it’s fooled into thinking the body has been poisoned .
So the master ECU send a signal to the stomach to prepare to evacuate/ puke .

That’s the sickness feeling .

So how to fix it ?
Well genetically you can’t rewire , insulate or seperate the motion ECU next door to the poison ECU or reduce any genetic leakage .
But you the eyes have the master override .
If data form the eyes collates with the data from the ears any leakage of current to the poison ECU is nullified.
Well in a normal person !

Hence keep the eyes on the horizon, helming etc or just looking out .
Hence you feel wheezy down below , you just lost the master eye override In put signal .

It’s all about letting the eyes send the correct signal to the brain which collates to the ears ( balance signal)

vas

Visit site

Trying to use mech terms for the biology.
Your inner ear sensor does balance three fluid filled tubes at 90 degrees from each other , more of less one in each plane , like spirit levels .
They send signals to the balance ECU in the brain .
Next door to that ECU is general poison detector ECU .
The unbiblical or wiring is a multi pin cored thing with various connectors .
A bad earth of moisture can short between the two ECU s .

So for some people the messages from the tilt / motion sensors in the ear end up accidentally cross connecting with the poison sensors .The poison ECU gets multiple inputs from other sensors like your eyes .
It’s trying to make sense of the signals ( huge amounts of data going to the next door motion ECU ) - some leaking across .
Now this is the crucial part in the ABSENCE of any eye sight data that collaborates correctly with the huge motion data it’s fooled into thinking the body has been poisoned .
So the master ECU send a signal to the stomach to prepare to evacuate/ puke .

That’s the sickness feeling .

So how to fix it ?
Well genetically you can’t rewire , insulate or seperate the motion ECU next door to the poison ECU or reduce any genetic leakage .
But you the eyes have the master override .
If data form the eyes collates with the data from the ears any leakage of current to the poison ECU is nullified.
Well in a normal person !

Hence keep the eyes on the horizon, helming etc or just looking out .
Hence you feel wheezy down below , you just lost the master eye override In put signal .

It’s all about letting the eyes send the correct signal to the brain which collates to the ears ( balance signal)

PF, this must be one of the best posts in YBW forum EVER!
congrats!

cheers

V.

MystereMarcus

Visit site

Reliefband.
A few years ago one of the magazines (I think it was Motorboats Monthly), ran a report of spending 24 hours in a liferaft. The raft was placed in the sea to experience real life conditions, with the canopy closed there was no view out / to the horizon so was prime sea sick conditions. The only person the raft who didn't turn green was the one wearing the Reliefband. Admittedly, to confirm the validity of this claim they would need to repeat the test with the same group of people but have the Reliefband on another resident of the raft!

Firefly625

Visit site
excellent Portofino!

May I just add.... helming once she already feels sick is too late. Get her helming from the off if the weather is lumpy and you think there is a possibility of sea sickness .

Visit site
Get a prescription for ondansetron. You can get ones that dissolve on your tongue no water needed. This is the type of anti nausea medication used with chemotherapy.

Andy Cox

Visit site

Nah
Didn't you read his thoughts on the toilet/bidet and underpants?

I feel I need to find this post. I mean, toilet......bidet.......underpants........these are subjects we've all had to consider at least once in:redface-new:

Thanks for that Whippersnapper, although I suspect that will be considered to be a last resort.

Andy