sea kayaking - does it appeal to you

Hydrozoan

Visit site
I wonder how good those inflatable kayaks are? They would be ideal to stow away onboard and use when anchored off some interesting geological feature.

Not as bad as one might think, IMO. Mrs H wanted us to carry a couple of rigid canoes on the foredeck (we have four, of varying types and sizes) but I jibbed at that on a 32 foot boat. Eventually managed to overcome her resistance and get a small Advanced Elements inflatable (for sheltered waters) and she found it tracked better than she had expected, and we now have two. It was a toss-up between the very light weight (ca. 16lb) and easy stowage of a small model and the better performance and seaworthiness of a larger one, and the former won out - one needs to make one's own choice on that of course, but at our age and in our sailing locations the little ones are fine and offer great (gentle) fun as well as the convenience of avoiding the Avon and outboard in suitable situations. The other questions were (1) quality of construction, and there as usual you get what you pay for - the AE ones are not the cheapest, but they have a tough outer cover and are lasting well, and (2) single or double, and we decided that two small singles offered more fun and versatility.

TheEcho

Visit site
We have a single and a double inflatable of the cheap as chips variety (Intex Challenger). Although we got them for the kids to muck around in, the double has also been transporting us to and from our mooring all summer as it is much less hassle than inflating the dinghy and getting the outboard (dinghy + oars is horrible against a strong tide, but kayak + 2 paddlers is fine). It doesn't have the tough outer cover, but we don't have many rocks hereabouts, just mud. Dinghy and outboard now stay in the garage, relegated to use in strong winds or big waves only.

The double can actually be paddled as a single as well so is the better buy in my book.

TimBennet

Visit site
We did a great deal of sea kayaking before taking up sailing. Did a week's course at Plas-y-Brenin, then paddled a good deal, especially north-west coast of Wales. This was quite a few years ago when sea kayaks were a lot rarer than they are now and all of our trips were done in slalom boats when they were far less extreme than they are now. I made slip-on skegs that gave a bit more directional stability to them. Derek Mayes, who was our P-y-B instructor, crossed the Irish Sea in a slalom boat, unsupported, with one companion. Some of my most memorable trips were South Stack in mid-ebb against a SW wind, big overfalls, and out to the Skerries from Holyhead on the flood, back on the ebb, nearly run down by the race fleet out of Holyhead SC.

Derek Mayes - 1969 crossing? It seemed so outrageous back then to spend over 20 hours sitting in a kayak, but that crossing is now done regularly. Still not easy, but as with everything, things move on. The circumnavigation of Ireland is a very do-able challenge, with the UK mainland being much longer, and the two together being the ultimate domestic challenge. About 25 to 30 years ago it suddenly became the 'thing to do' with lots of parties each summer setting off 'to keep turning right'.

There's also a cross over from kayaking to sailing. Franco Ferrero was a more recent head of sea kayaking at Plas y Brenin and he's just set off in his Rustler 36 to go down to Antarctica and then on around the world. He chose the boat as he could get two 'bolt together' sea kayaks stored out of the way in the quarter berth. Nick, the yard hand at Kerrera is a sea kayak guide but lives on his sailing boat at the marina.

But you don't have to go to the west coast of Scotland for superb sea kayaking. Anglesey has some of the best sea kayaking there is. Give it a go with a decent instructor! It's superb. You wouldn't go far wrong with Roger at Coastal Spirit ( http://www.coastalspirit.com ).

Storyline

Visit site
Some of my most memorable trips were South Stack in mid-ebb against a SW wind, big overfalls, and out to the Skerries from Holyhead on the flood, back on the ebb, nearly run down by the race fleet out of Holyhead SC.
Having been caught out once off South Stack in wind over (spring) tide on the ebb you have my admiration. It was horrendous in a 31' boat so cannot imagine what it would be like in a kayak !

ffiill

Visit site
Back in 1968 my first ever boat was a plywood self build stitch and glassfibre tape single chine canoe.
As a 15 year old and for some years later if I wasn't out in Morecambe Bay or on one of the Lakes in the Lake District I was wandering about the bays and sea lochs up here in the nw highlands.
There were no such things as off the shelf or self build sea kayaks and the single chine worked well out on the sea.
Sea caves were my favourite sneaking in in favourable conditions and looking around.
I sometimes feel I had more fun with the flexibility of canoes Dinghys and windsurfers than I have had with big boats!

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
Having been caught out once off South Stack in wind over (spring) tide on the ebb you have my admiration. It was horrendous in a 31' boat so cannot imagine what it would be like in a kayak !

Much better in a kayak. You & the boat tend to go up & down on the waves rather than being rolled & pitched all over the place as a 31' er is. With a decent spraydeck, a kayak is as bouyant as a cork & the ability to roll & use support strokes will give you the confidence to deal with anything. Even being dumped on a rock is not necessarily a problem as the boat is relatively lighter & thus stronger due to its size. Think about the battering white water kayaks regularly get pounding onto rocks.

interloper

Visit site
But what happens when you need to go to the loo?

I always carry a plastic cup with me. The cup is not for drinking.

perception_carolina_14_2.jpg

ffiill

Visit site
Playing in surf with a sea kayak is fun. More so in the dark.
Until the wavelength of the beaching wave shortens and the height increases.
You can than find the bow of your canoe beginning to dive into the back of the wave in front,nose dive and land upside down with your head in the sand.
I only ever did it once as a kid but not very nice!

Vara

Visit site
Many years ago, did an army course and then had three weeks doing it for real around Norwegian Fjords various, great experience, but didn't grab me, one of the bods I was with took it up full time, and was last seen running a canoe centre and holiday village in Norway.

planteater

aboardhippo.blogspot.com
Did a half day course and then some kayaking on a Scottish sea loch a few weeks ago and and had a great time. Not rufty-tufty stuff by any means but suitably remote and isolated. Just the seals and terns for company.

I loved it but as a mid 50's slipped disc sufferer I was always a little concerned about my back.

agurney

agurney.com
while travelling around the top this summer I saw a lot of sea kayakers

until I saw the cliffs and sea caves of scotland I never understood why they did it

I do now

have any of you sailors had a go?

is it frightening?

the caves and rocks that close must be amazing

D

We always sail with at least one kayak.
SWMBO likes paddling around rocks in remote places, so she takes a GoPro and potters along the coast while I provide boat cover and do a spot of fishing; she returns every hour or so for a cup of tea and a sarnie.
All very civilised.

Attachments

• lussa.jpg
    lussa.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 0

DannyB

Visit site
I was sailing up the Clyde a couple/ maybe three weeks ago and just North of Cumbrae, I came across a guy in a Canadian canoe. I gave him a hail because he looked lonely, and he told me he was heading for Glasgow, raising funds for Help for Heroes. I wish I'd gone about and had a longer chat, Glasgow seemed like a strange place to head to, kind of a dead end in a canoe, unless he was heading for the Forth/Clyde canal.