Scuttlebutt Rally Cherbourg 2011

Sailfree

Visit site
There was an earlier post regarding this.

The nominated neap tide weekend is 24th/25th September.

I have requested Fergus to reserve the YC. I wanted to get in early as Parkstone YC also arrange a late Cherbourg dash in Sept and mentioned to me last year that we had already grabbed the YC.

I already have a number who have expressed an interest and will add any names that mention an interest in this thread.

About June I will post again hopefully with the menu and price. I will then start an Excell spreadsheet with all relevant details, eg Number of persons, boat, mobile nos, email address, departure port /time etc. I only add the amount of info people are happy but so far noone has asked for their mobile no to be witheld. I distribute this spreadsheet as an attachment to all participants by personal e mail.

YBW kindly start a Forum members event and we add threads regarding likely weather, crew wanted, spare berths.

As we have had sunny Saturday afternoons for the pontoon/boat drinks & nibbles gathering for the last 3 yrs I am open to suggestions for an alternative afternoon venue in the event of rain.

Sailfree

Visit site
Can little boats like mine come along? What papers do we need? (gets coat..)

We name the date and the venue. Its every skippers individual responsiblity to judge whether to go dependant on boat/safety equipment/ability of crew/weather conditions and got to add ability to supply the correct ships papers if demanded!!

To assist we designate a VHF channel so that people can stay in touch and the purpose of the spreadsheet (departure port/time) is to enable anyone to contact others and sail in company/vicinity if they wish.

I think it gives Xchannel virgins a degree of comfort.

It was before my involvment but there was one bad weather weekend where I understand a number of bigger boats invited some small boat crews to join them.

Pinnacle

Visit site
I have been pressed into Fergus service.
Looking forward to it.

Good to hear Jim.

Has someone explained to you that on the way over you shouldn't get alarmed when the depth instrument is reading more than 4 metres.......even though you will think it must be, it won't be faulty. :D:D

FullCircle

Visit site
Good to hear Jim.

Has someone explained to you that on the way over you shouldn't get alarmed when the depth instrument is reading more than 4 metres.......even though you will think it must be, it won't be faulty. :D:D

I can tell the depth by the shape of the wave......unfortunately, it only works from 0.1m to about 3m

Talbot

Visit site
So what has replaced the Catalac?

P1010098_600x450.JPG

Privilege 37

lenseman

www.dswmarineengineering.com
There is an outside possibility that I might make it (leaving from Brighton)

You better get in quick, I am in Brighton Marina at the moment and have noticed three large dive boats anchored 8 miles out obviously checking the seabed for the Hastings Array which will make sailing from Brighton a bit of fun in the future.

ps: I wonder why they call it the "Hastings Array" when it is going to be directly off Brighton? :confused:

Last edited:

lenseman

www.dswmarineengineering.com
. . . . . Please clarify.

Not much to clarify except the deceitful nature with which the powers that be decided to call the wind farm which will be directly off Brighton, "The Hastings Array" and it will form a 46° plus arc of vision directly off Brighton Marina.

About three years ago, they published a map of Phase 2 or 3 and the maps also showed the locations and where all the electric cables were going to arrive on shore. For example, the 'array' to the south west of the IoW, the cables will arrive on shore just east of Weymouth so, during the time it will take to lay cables, that area will probably become a 'no-sail' area! :eek:

I will try and dig out the .pdf file on the locations but I think it is on another computer but was published about the summer of 2008. Someone else on here will certainly have retained a copy. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Just done a quick search on Google and noticed that the original Phase 3 report was calling it The Hastings Array in December 2007. This was then changed to the Southern Array sometime around 2008/9 and has again been renamed to confuse even further. It is now the "Rampion Array"

Last edited: