Scuttlebutt Cherbourg Cruise 2015

Sailfree

Visit site
Wanted to start this thread now as only a few weeks before I go off sailing for a summer cruise

The Scuttlebutt Cherbourg trip has now been going for some 14yrs. This year it is arranged for the W/E 19/20th September. Often newbees and X channel virgins are tempted in the knowledge that there will be other boats in the vicinity for the X channel crossing.

It has developed from a Saturday evening meal at the Cherbourg YC to also include a Saturday afternoon boat/pontoon gathering for drinks and nibbles. I start the larder with a selection of wines/beers and nibbles which other boats usually kindly contribute. I will take this opportunity of apologising for my dreadful sin of allowing Janes Buoy to run out of beer last year and thanks to the other boats that kindly contributed more to make up the deficit. I supply labels for you to write your forum name so you can put a face to a poster and introduce yourselves. Obviously the event depends on the weather but we have had amazing sunny weather for the majority of recent years (with the exception of 2013!!). and the Pontoon Gathering has been a great success for formites to meet and mix. I introduced the afternoon gathering to ensure the event was more inclusive and welcomed strangers as otherwise there was a risk of just a few gatherings on individual boats of people that only knew each other. We have great support from the Cherbourg Marina.

After the evening meal a few do collect on a few boats and drink well into and for some through the night!!

Most go on the Friday and return on the Sunday but a few do extended stays. I have negotiated discounted berthing at Cherbourg. I am hoping this year to add this event to a weeks cruise of the CIs

Many informally connect up with others on the Friday night and dine together at a restaurant.

In September I collate a spreadsheet and distribute it to participants, but only to their personal e mails. This includes such info as you are happy to give but usually includes VHF channel, mobile numbers , departure port and likely time so that participants, especially newbees, can contact others and sail in company. The spreadsheet also enables some last minute ship jumpers if anyone has problems with their own boat before departure.

We also run a thread for crew available and crew wanted as we try to fit in everyone who want to go - its also good if you want to do your 1st X channel with someone more experienced.

I am currently trying to contact Fergus and confirm that he has booked the YC. The majority favoured the cheaper €27 menu. There are Vegi options please let me know if you’re a Veggi. Please remember to bring cash € for the meal as the YC require us to settle the total bill not 20 or so individual bills. Last few years there have been 40-50 attendees!

If you intend to stock up with cheap wine for the winter months Normandie wines has a good selection of mainly French wines and many country’s beers. We usually arrange a free wine tasting for the Saturday lunchtime and Normandie wine offer a extra discount.

Final decision whether to sail if up to each skipper, no deposit required so no loss if weather does turn bad.

If people are interested please add your names and possible total number to this thread.

Feel free to add you comments if I have missed anything or not properly described the flavour of the event. Your comments will also help keep this thread live.

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
We hope to be there with a new boat (well new to us and not quite as old as the last one). Survey went Ok so watch this space.

stranded

Visit site
Ohmaggie x 2 (probably, though 20th is our wedding anniversary so I could be single handing when SWMBO discovers what this year's surprise outing is).

Fergus

Visit site
Booking request sent to the restaurant. I hope to be attending courtesy of colhel - not on my own boat for the first time ever unfortunately!

dom

Visit site
dom x2 at this stage. Once again thanks to Sailfree and Fergus for organising this excellent weekend :encouragement:

dom

Visit site
+1

(Dom, could we have a tow this year please - usual start point? :encouragement:)

The pleasure would be mine. Mind we'll probably need the full kite for added oomph and we might both end up parked atop the Cherbourg water tower if we can't get the thing down! Still, perhaps Sailfree would be kind enough to attach a few beers to a line we lower if that happens ;)