Scrap Kings

Dan Tribe

Visit site
I saw a programme on TV recently about breaking up a yacht, I think it was a Trident.
Now, the boat was possibly past saving, but had obviously been someone's pride and joy once.
I found it a bit upsetting that the breakers took great joy in smashing it up and apprently thought they were doing the community a great service in removing it from the environment.
Probably I'm too sentimental but a bit of respect would have been nice.

Wansworth

Visit site
Broken up a wooden boat I must admit standing on a rust nail was my greatest concern and an electric blade saw a great tool.As regards sentiment that would have been inbude by the owners and without having its own history like a famous vessel or a vessel known for some feat its difficult to be sad at its demise.

chrishscorp

Visit site
I saw a programme on TV recently about breaking up a yacht, I think it was a Trident.
Now, the boat was possibly past saving, but had obviously been someone's pride and joy once.
I found it a bit upsetting that the breakers took great joy in smashing it up and apprently thought they were doing the community a great service in removing it from the environment.
Probably I'm too sentimental but a bit of respect would have been nice.

They towed her past mine, not that i could spot her.
I was quite suprised more bits were not salvaged, like the mast for instance. They do sell stuff online and as one recent thread has shown there is a market for such items, they are not short on space down there for storage.

There are some real wrecks on some of the moorings in Portsmouth Harbour, some barely floating and in no sense seaworthy.