Scilly Is. cruise info. annoying swells.

spinny

Visit site
Hi
I'm planning a 10 day / 2 week cruise to the Scilly Is. next summer. I've been there before for a week on a sailing school yacht, and the weather was absolutely perfect, and we had no problem with swells. However I don't want to get lulled into a false sense of security.
Having read a few pilot books about the place, it has led me to believe that even when its calm, an Atlantic swell can really make some of the anchorages unpleasent, especially at high tide when the swell comes into anchorages over the top of what was originally protective rocks. And it is not advisable changing anchorages at night.

My Question to the sailors who have vast experience of sailing in and around the Scilly Is.
Would it be better to have a twin keeler yacht so you can take to the beach at night for a decent nights sleep, or take the chance with a fin keeler, and anchor.

I am thinking of selling my fin keel yacht and buying a twin keeler within the next year or two anyway because of all the drying harbours in the Bristol Channel. The answers to this question may lead me to doing it sooner rather than later.

TamarMike

Visit site
I would be more concerned about a drying yacht pounding as it takes the ground than a bit of discomfort from the swell (yes it does come in over some of the bars at high water but sonn dies as the tide drops)

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
A yacht that can take the ground will make the Scilly Is far more satisfying IMO. Having been there in a smallish B/K, and a larger L/K, I found the getting there much easier in the bigger boat, but it was much more restricted where I could go.

There are several enclosed bays/harbours where you can dry out, which have excellent shelter, and there will always be somewhere without swell. There was at least one bay which was populated by mostly French yachts on legs in the summer, and they seemed to manage OK /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tangomoon

Visit site
Even bilge keelers bounce on the hard sand for the last ten minutes of tide if there is a swell - not nice!

That's all you get as we only stayed there for six weeks the year before last - there were gale force winds for two or three days at a time,, with occasional 9s sometimes the winds were 52knots - made the rigging scream and howl a bit!

Bit more

Sheltered anchorages - follow the Pilot book it's accurate enough.
We stayed overnight in one and in the moonlight you could see the waves rise and rise but they were dissipated by the time they reached us.

Another chap in a motorboat chased all round the islands on several occasions and stayed in the lee where ever

With caution, there are some 'undiscovered' places to anchor and/or take the ground.

When the tide's in, there's not much to stand in your way - be cautious of course.

Plenty of places to find the 'lee'.

As another thougt, the French use legs on their fin-keelers and stay in the same places as the bilge-keelers - they're very gung-ho about it all.

Get out and hit your anchor in with a 30 or so pound boulder as soon as you can, some places the holding is very hard not allowing anchor to dig itself in.

But it was our first visit and we don't have vast experience of the place so get more thoughts.

BOL

Csail

N/A
Visit site
We went for 10 days and loved it. We are long keel so just anchored where we liked. Only scary bit was anchor drag alarm one night in 'something' sound......next port would have been America!
Just remember that if weather does get bad you might get stuck.

ebbtide

N/A
Visit site
If Scillypete doesn't get out of bed soon then PM him - didn't you see his recent blog (with pics) of taking his new boat there?

boatmike

Visit site
There are so many anchorages around The Scillys that any yacht will find shelter somewhere depending upon the relevant wind direction. You need to watch the weather and move to suitable anchorages if it gets nasty however. A good pilot (Scillypete will sell you one!) is essential and listen to the local forecasts. Swell is only a problem if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time. One easy anchorage is over Tresco Flats near hangman Island. Good holding if you set your anchor properly and only a problem in Northerly Gales. Even then it's more uncomfortable than dangerous if you have good ground tackle. Spend your money on a good anchor and plenty of chain. No need to change boats although a bilge keeler will allow you to go more places and dryout.

Scillypete

www.peteandspamgosailing.blogspot.com
I'm up now, twas a nice lie in thanks.
For the OP
As most have said there are many places to try and get some shelter, any deep keeled boat will be more restricted than a shoal draft boat especially one that can take the bottom, cats are best without doubt bilge keelers next.

If you can take the bottom then there are a large number of extra places to tuck away in. It must be said that in extreme conditions there will most likely be some kind of run on the beaches wherever you go, but some will still be better than others.
Try not to listen to the horror stories too much just make sure you pay attention to the forecasts and be prepared to act if there is going to be a change.
Do not be lulled into thinking the harbour must be best 'cos it has mooriings which give you a sense of security, if there is bad weather (sometimes not even that bad) the swell running in there will make it very uncomfortable and they charge you for the privilege.

See you in the summer /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

steve28

www.falmouthgypsy.com
agree with pete about the harbour, we spent the first night bouncing on a mooring, harbour master felt sorry for us and allowed us to go alongside the wall. this was entertaining when we dried out and refloated as the whole boat felt like it was coming apart with the shuddering.

zeds

Visit site
Following the intimate knowledge of Scilly Pete is a little presumptuous - apologies. As one who anchors there most years I would say there are 2 Scillies - and the one accessible to the drying hull is infinitely the finer. This is even more pronounced in Scilly than N Brittany though for many of the same reasons. Scilly is one of the major reasons noone can persuade me to change from my bilge keeler.

boatmike

Visit site
And the "new" mooring bouys in Hughtown are really a bit to close together for my liking although they are probably better than relying on other people not to drag their anchors. I say other people cos I remember being in my old Gaffer back in about 1976 (when there wern't no bouys) sitting on 2 anchors with Frenchmen anchored to bits o string whistling past me and parking on the lifeboat slip in a gale. We should have moved really but as we were well dug in decided to ride it out. Thats when I learned it's not just your ground tackle that matters it's all the other numpties parked off your bows..... Difficult to put a fender on a bowsprit and they don't like it up 'em you know......

benlui

Caribbean-South IRL-East Coast UK and everywhere e
Visit site
Get a pair of yacht legs. However, if you watch the forecast well enough, you will know where will be sheltered at night in advance "most times anyway" i sailed there this year, and we took to visitors moorings rather than anchor, but when we did anchor, we watched the direction of the swell and hoped it wouldn't change unexpectedly which it never did. Luck i guess.

MacMan

sailtoanywhere.blogspot.com
Whilst not impossible in a fin/non drying out yacht - unless you get some very settled weather it can be challenging. (Although many do it every year) We spent about four weeks this year in the Scillies on the way out and back to Ireland and were glad we could creep inside and get out of the swell.

Even in the anchorages where we didn't dry out (e.g. Watermill Cove) having minimal draft enabled us to tuck in out of the swell that was still there for the most part.

Some friends on a 2m fin had some rubbish night srolling around whilst we dried out. They eventually got so fed up with lack of sleep they left and went back home early.

But don't let this put you off - it is a fantastic place.

If you can dry out go for Tean and with a bit of luck have an Island to yourself !

MisterBen

Visit site
Obviously can't compete with Pete for local advice, but I have sailed to the Scillies 27 times in the last 28 years, and conclude -

a. The Isles of Scilly provide the best cruising ground in Britain, if not the world

b. - but only if you can take the ground, otherwise you will roll your socks off.

But that leads to the related thought - why does any cruising sailor ever buy a boat with only one keel? Surely, it's a no-brainer - the claimed advantages of half a knot extra speed and the ability to point a touch higher don't remotely compare with the bliss of a good night's sleep. Ah well, mustn't complain, if every one could dry out, Green Bay would become impossible.

Go there anyway, you will love the islands.