Schengen dodge after 31/12/20

Star-Lord

Visit site
If you have a home/property (includes a canal boat or static caravan or a boat in a marina or anywhere you can think of that is available for you to stay) in UK you will find it almost impossible to claim you are not resident. Therefore to be a non tax resident you need to basically sever all ties and not return to British soil for quite a few years? I think now people work remotely it is easy to be non resident anywhere if you are prepared to keep on moving and not having a permanent address. There are many websites dedicated to the Digital Nomad lifestyle.

Seriously thinking of buying a big cheap (ish) Catalina or Benny in St. Martin - or somewhere over there - and spending 6 months away completely. If only Greece or somewhere else nice let's us stay for six months, without being a resident, this would work well. The only downside would be the expense of two boats!

Or just leave Europe for good. I don't know. Will have to see what Greece is like.

nortada

Visit site
Yes.

Really meet the non residence criteria the revenue don't care as long as they get their cut from any earnings arising from activities taking place in the UK. Their words. Last time I was non resident anywhere for 5 years.

It is difficult to live totally off the record, in a black economy.

Unless you have a large stash under your bunk, your income must be coming from somewhere and the providers of this income will have links with taxation officials somewhere, who will become interested in who is collecting any tax due.

Once satisfied you are paying tax somewhere. Provided there is a mutual taxation treaty you should be left in peace - but if not.??

The other risk is somebody will bubble you.

I have seen this happen.?

GHA

Visit site
It is difficult to live totally off the record, in a black economy.

Unless you have a large stash under your bunk, your income must be coming from somewhere and the providers of this income will have links with taxation officials somewhere, who will become interested in who is collecting any tax due.

Once satisfied you are paying tax somewhere. Provided there is a mutual taxation treaty you should be left in peace - but if not.??

The other risk is somebody will bubble you.

I have seen this happen.?

Not my experience in the real world from talking to the revenue. Non res outside the UK they don't care, just declare any income arising in the UK. Nothing to bubble - who you going to bubble to?

nortada

Visit site
Not my experience in the real world from talking to the revenue. Non res outside the UK they don't care, just declare any income arising in the UK. Nothing to bubble - who you going to bubble to?

As you agree in #25, any income declared to the HMRC, over tax allowances, will be taxed by HMRC.

If HMRC suspect income is being earned in another jurisdiction, they will pass details to that jurisdiction to act as they see fit.

If you are talking to the revenue you are not living under the tax radar.

I would point out that this thread was discussing dodging Schengen, rather than residency and tax residency.

Present understanding is, if you have residency in a country, Schengen will not apply to you in that jurisdiction.

Whether or not you have residency, if you are in a jurisdiction for 183+ days in a fiscal year, you will be classed as a tax resident and may be required to submit a tax return.

You may also be required to explain why, after 3 months, you failed to register in that country and could be penalised.

True to say, to date, in its relaxed way, so far as I am aware Portugal has not pursued any who have not registered.

If you register you will get temporary residency and again to my knowledge, although they could, Portugal has not perused them for a tax return. If a tax return is submitted, because of a double taxation treaty, income taxed by HMRC will not be taxed by Portugal but it will tax any income earned in Portugal.

Hope this clears up any misunderstanding.

Last edited:

Visit site
As you agree in #25, any income declared to the HMRC, over tax allowances, will be taxed by HMRC.

If HMRC suspect income is being earned in another jurisdiction, they will pass details to that jurisdiction to act as they see fit.

If you are talking to the revenue you are not living under the tax radar.

I would point out that this thread was discussing dodging Schengen, rather than residency and tax residency.

Present understanding is, if you have residency in a country, Schengen will not apply to you in that jurisdiction.

Whether or not you have residency, if you are in a jurisdiction for 183+ days in a fiscal year, you will be classed as a tax resident and may be required to submit a tax return.

You may also be required to explain why, after 3 months, you failed to register in that country and could be penalised.

True to say, to date, in its relaxed way, so far as I am aware Portugal has not pursued any who have not registered.

If you register you will get temporary residency and again to my knowledge, although they could, Portugal has not perused them for a tax return. If a tax return is submitted, because of a double taxation treaty, income taxed by HMRC will not be taxed by Portugal but it will tax any income earned in Portugal.

Hope this clears up any misunderstanding.

Visit site
In Portugal to buy many things you require a tax nº and its only a question of asking for one and it doesn't require you to file a tax return but they seem to think that because you've taken the trouble to get one you'd file a return if you had any income.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
In Portugal to buy many things you require a tax nº and its only a question of asking for one and it doesn't require you to file a tax return but they seem to think that because you've taken the trouble to get one you'd file a return if you had any income.

That sums it up. We pay taxes in UK and have never filed tax returns in Portugal, although my wife is a citizen and I have permanent residence. It appears there is no communication between UK and Portuguese revenue.

CLB

Visit site
If we return to the old days, passports were stamped in and out. You will be missing the entry stamp in your passport which will class you as an illegal immigrant.

How old are you talking about. When I first started travelling overseas, mainly to Europe and in the 70's, I was always amazed that there was rarely anyone to show your passport too. We used to just get off the plane, walk through a non-manned passport control area and out of the airport. This would have been in the likes of Mallorca and France. I still have that cancelled passport and there is not a single stamp in it. There is far more rigorous passport control now. I have to show my passport every single time now and stand in a queue to do it.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
How old are you talking about. When I first started travelling overseas, mainly to Europe and in the 70's, I was always amazed that there was rarely anyone to show your passport too. We used to just get off the plane, walk through a non-manned passport control area and out of the airport. This would have been in the likes of Mallorca and France. I still have that cancelled passport and there is not a single stamp in it. There is far more rigorous passport control now. I have to show my passport every single time now and stand in a queue to do it.

1960s and early 70s, both driving and flying, passport stamps were the norm from what I remember.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Something new to ponder on .

LONDON — The European Commission has decided to create an EU-wide biometric residence document for all British nationals living in the bloc by the end of the post-Brexit transition period.
The Commission told POLITICO it wants to ensure British residents in the EU have a “simple, uniform” physical document that helps them prove their residence status and continue to be able to exercise their rights.
This EU-wide document will be issued by the member state in which the applicant resides and will be used only after December 31, when the Brexit transition period is scheduled to end.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
I have been reading a blog by a Canadian couple with a barge in France. They are observing the 90 day in 90 day out routine. Most inconvenient and for them expensive.
A UK passport holder could circumnavigate this by returning to UK by ferry or airline before the end of this year which would register an exit from EU. Next day he could crew on a yacht to Flushing. (I have never been asked for my passport or recorded as entering EU anywhere along this coast)
Not having been logged in he would be free to roam indefinitely. The likelihood of EU plod having entry and exit data if questioned is highly unlikely.
Or am I missing something ?
In future I expect you will need to enter/exit any of the European nations via a "port of entry" passports stamped or recorded on a computer somewhere.

And as others have said, the snap of rubber gloves as you are bending forward if you don't play by the rules.

nortada

Visit site
Something new to ponder on .

LONDON — The European Commission has decided to create an EU-wide biometric residence document for all British nationals living in the bloc by the end of the post-Brexit transition period.
The Commission told POLITICO it wants to ensure British residents in the EU have a “simple, uniform” physical document that helps them prove their residence status and continue to be able to exercise their rights.
This EU-wide document will be issued by the member state in which the applicant resides and will be used only after December 31, when the Brexit transition period is scheduled to end.

Interesting so could l this be a first step to recognizing Brit residents EU status and rights, which could free movement and longer stay in all Schengen Zone countries ❓
If this not to be the case, what is the point of this extra document, in addition to a UK passport and a residency document issued by your host country❓