'Scale' on Front Windows - Any Ideas?

mjkinch1

Visit site
\'Scale\' on Front Windows - Any Ideas?

I dont think the previous owner of our flybridge ever took his screen cover off the main front windows - even when we sea trialled it, and surveyed it, no one noticed the (as I can best describe it) the slight film on the front windows. This has been caused over the years by the plastic screen with condensation and sea water and laying on top of and in contact with the glass.

I posted this question a year ago, and got lots of replies about general Glass cleaners, and Cillitt bang,and the like.

Anyway it came off a bit, but still has what can best described as a slight smear, where you can see through fine, but is just annoying (like having a slightly misted front screen in the car just outside the main area you look through). I guess it reminds me of cleaning your window with dirty water,so that it looks like you just have to give it one more wipe.

I tried loads of cleaners,and also a descaller liquid with some limited success. I also got a stanley blade and gently scraped away, and this also lifted some of the marks, but only a small amount.

I thought you could pretty much move anything from glass, but perhaps this has damaged the surface slightly? Is that possible? Has anyone else had this?

An Alternative is to get some new front glass screens, are these expensive - it is just the two front glass windows, all the other glass is fine.

I am out in another week or so, so any thoughts you have would be appreciated and I can take the suggested materials with me.

Thanks

Martyn

Sneds

Visit site
Re: \'Scale\' on Front Windows - Any Ideas?

From a previous post

Halfords, "Glass Cutting Compound" in little grey bottles. If you've got wipers then leave it like that, if not then after you've cut it put some 3M hard wax on the windows followed up with some International teflon sealer. Any water will then wizz off straight into your eyes .

Might be worth a try.

Major Catastrophe

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]

Try a tin of diet coke before you buy any cutting compunds.

[/ QUOTE ]

..or cheaper still, vinegar.

rich

www.portofjersey.je

[ QUOTE ]
..or cheaper still, vinegar.

[/ QUOTE ]
the best cleaner I have ever found /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

mjkinch1

Visit site

Thanks - I think I will get some of the cutting compound to try, I did try a good descaler but it didnt work. Mind you I havent tried Vinegar - so we will put that on the list as well.

Are we talking Sarsons, Malt, white etc??

MedDreamer

Visit site

Oh I didn't know you hadn't tried vinegar or I would have suggested it, best glass cleaning fluid we have found although your boat may smell like a fish & chip shop for a few days

pelicanpete

Visit site

If you are going to use vinegar, I'd use the white variety in preference to the malt. However, I've had success in moving limescale (if that's what it is...) with limesscale removers such as you use in kettles, coffee makers, etc. Other possibilities are: half a lemon dipped in salt and rubbed gently over the glass. (Try a small area first).
The fogging may of course be permanent 'etching' such as on wine glasses that go cloudy when subjected to repeated sessions in the dish-washer.

Major Catastrophe

Visit site

I would suggest going down to your local chippie, ordering two portions of rock and chips with vinegar and a couple of cans of coke. Take the whole lot back to the boat and eat it off the windscreen.

A wholesome meal and a glass clean all in one go!

Stoaty

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
I would suggest going down to your local chippie, ordering two portions of rock and chips with vinegar and a couple of cans of coke. Take the whole lot back to the boat and eat it off the windscreen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just make sure the gulls haven't left any calling cards first.