Scabies and crew

stranded

Visit site
A chap who is due to crew for us cross channel in a week or so has just found out his wife has scabies. It seems therefore very likely that he too has it. The stuff I have found online seems to imply (not state) that if he uses the lotion he will not be infectious in a weeks time but I am nervous about him passing it on to us and spoiling a good chunk of our summer, and particularly that our daughter, sil and grandson will be occupying his cabin shortly after he departs.

I know we have some medical expertise on the forum and I wonder if we are right to worry - he’s very keen to do the trip and I would like to take him, but we don’t actually need him as crew. TBH I hope he might withdraw himself to save me the awkwardness - he’s a good neighbour rather than a good friend.

benjenbav

Visit site
I think this is one for qualified advice from your doctor rather than relying on the musings of a forum.

Personally, I’d just say no to the individual setting foot onboard. But I had to google to find out what scabies is. From that you might judge the value of my opinion on this subject.

stranded

Visit site
I think this is one for qualified advice from your doctor rather than relying on the musings of a forum.

Personally, I’d just say no to the individual setting foot onboard. But I had to google to find out what scabies is. From that you might judge the value of my opinion on this subject.
In the olden days I would agree, but as things stand I think doctors have many higher priorities than reassuring (or not) wittering yotties.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
As skipper it is up to you if you want to risk a mass breakout of scabies onboard.

Personally, I'd be saying 'for the sake of your health stay at home'

NHS UK has some interesting facts.:
Scabies is very infectious, but it can take up to 8 weeks for the rash to appear.

Everyone in your home needs to be treated at the same time, even if they do not have symptoms. But do not use pharmacy treatments on children under 2 years old, they will need to see a GP.

Anyone you’ve had sexual contact with in the past 8 weeks should also be treated.

ylop

Visit site
In the post EU world what declarations do you need to make about the health of your crew? And if none, will he know this, if you want to tell him so.

Reactions: RMC

Mark-1

Visit site
This question has nothing to to with sailing but if it were me I'd say no, use the grandkids as an excuse and offer him another trip next year.

He's quite rude not cancelling himself IMHO.

If you really want to do due dilligence ask a pharmacist and/or the Mumsnet forum.

I would also strongly urge you not to have sex with him in during the next 8 weeks! :D

Mister E

Visit site
Tell him you don't know if you will be allowed to enter France and if turned away may have to quarantine for 8 weeks at anchor under regulations.

Boathook

Visit site
Just read up on the NHS web site about scabies and I don't think he should travel with you. It mentions avoiding being close together, etc and then how do you clean the bunk afterwards.

Hopefully he will say no before you do.

KevinV

Visit site
He's quite rude not cancelling himself IMHO.
This.

I wouldn't want him on board - boat upholstery is pretty much impossible to clean. However small the chance of getting it on the boat I would still try to minimise it.

I had to deal with an outbreak in a construction crew about 30 years ago - horrible for everyone involved. It really ruined the atmosphere.

Concerto

Visit site
As a slight aside on this theme, I now ask anyone who sails with me if they have any health issues or require any regular medication. This surprised one older gentleman and thought this was a very sensible question everyone should be asking of all crew members.

Knowing the OP is unsure about having someone aboard who is in close contact with someone with scabies, this should have not been left for the crew to volunteer this information, he should be asking this as a regular question about crew members health. It is the skipper's responsibily to ensure the safety of all crew members whilst aboard. Having someone aboard with a potentially infectious scabies should be avoided at all costs.

tkalfaoglu

Visit site
From ChatGPT:

For someone with scabies, the recommended quarantine period typically aligns with the treatment process to ensure that the mites are eradicated and to prevent spreading the infestation to others. Here are the general guidelines:

1. **Treatment Duration**: The standard treatment for scabies usually involves applying a topical scabicide, such as permethrin cream or ivermectin lotion, which is left on the skin for 8-14 hours before being washed off. This treatment is often repeated one week later.

2. **Quarantine Period**:
- **Before Treatment**: Individuals should avoid close physical contact with others until treatment begins.
- **During Treatment**: While undergoing treatment, it's best to maintain minimal contact with others. The quarantine period typically lasts until the first treatment is completed (8-14 hours).
- **Post-Treatment**: After completing the initial treatment, individuals can usually resume normal activities, but they should continue to avoid close contact until the second treatment is finished if a second treatment is prescribed.

3. **Environmental Decontamination**: Bedding, clothing, and towels used by the infested person in the 3 days before treatment should be washed in hot water and dried on a hot cycle or sealed in a plastic bag for at least 72 hours to kill any remaining mites.

4. **Household Members**: Close contacts and household members should also be treated simultaneously to prevent re-infestation.

If symptoms persist after treatment, or if there is any doubt about whether the mites have been completely eradicated, it is advisable to consult a healthcare provider for further guidance.

Personally I wouldn't take the chance.. If those things spread you'll have a very hard time getting rid of them on the boat.. -t

Stemar

Visit site
Having had scabies many years ago, I'd do whatever's necessary to avoid getting it again. That would, if it came down to it, include losing a friend.

OTOH, if that was enough to break a friendship, I'd wonder if it wasn't a bit like what some comedian said about lending a tenner to a friend and finding he's no longer your friend when it comes to paying it back - you've got a good deal.

stranded

Visit site
Thanks all - yeah, that’s the way I was leaning - it was the ChatGPT answer that was my understanding of the situation. That does suggest that it ought to be alright if he’s followed the protocol, but the consequences sound so unpleasant that its not for me to take the risk on behalf of others even if I might decide to do so if it were just me.

owen

Visit site
The problem recently has been resistant scabies. Ie not responding to the usual treatments. Then the only resort is off licence oral ivermectin.

penberth3

Visit site
From ChatGPT:

For someone with scabies, the recommended quarantine period typically aligns with the treatment process to ensure that the mites are eradicated and to prevent spreading the infestation to others. Here are the general guidelines:

1. **Treatment Duration**: The standard treatment for scabies usually involves applying a topical scabicide, such as permethrin cream or ivermectin lotion, which is left on the skin for 8-14 hours before being washed off. This treatment is often repeated one week later.

2. **Quarantine Period**:
- **Before Treatment**: Individuals should avoid close physical contact with others until treatment begins.
- **During Treatment**: While undergoing treatment, it's best to maintain minimal contact with others. The quarantine period typically lasts until the first treatment is completed (8-14 hours)......

I'm no expert, and neither is ChatGPT. That "8 - 14 hour" quarantine period sounds suspiciously short for ANY infectious disease.