Sat TV onboard

wonkywinch

Visit site
As an aside, I’m surprised by the number of residential satellite dishes still in evidence. I’ve never had satellite tv but am I right to assume these services are now available over FTTP? That being the case wouldn’t one bin the satellite dish?
The IP TV thing isn't mature enough yet. There are plenty of catch up and streaming services but, afaik, no online replacement for Freesat.

Around here, I still see 405 line TV aerials occasionally.

ylop

Visit site
Starlink seems overpriced for most unless a Utuber I guess?
£85/month for the version that will work in port. An unlimited data contract will be something like £20/month but with the likelihood of no/poor signal in remote anchorages. To me that’s an attraction rather than a downside but if you need TV many people pay that for cable/sat/internet services at home. There is a cheaper smaller version coming. I’m hoping someone else catches up because it’s not healthy for Musk to be dominant in any market.
As an aside, I’m surprised by the number of residential satellite dishes still in evidence. I’ve never had satellite tv but am I right to assume these services are now available over FTTP? That being the case wouldn’t one bin the satellite dish?
Lots of properties still don’t have FTTP. Probably some redundant dishes that get left in place as you need a suitable ladder to remove it.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
The IP TV thing isn't mature enough yet. There are plenty of catch up and streaming services but, afaik, no online replacement for Freesat.

Around here, I still see 405 line TV aerials occasionally.
I had the impression that Freesat just gave masses of channels of rubbish?

We find almost everything we want on the BBC iPlayer. About twice a year, we do a month on one of the streaming services as a series / film has caught our eye. Oh, and we'd probably buy 2 films a year to stream

All easily done via the mifi.

wonkywinch

Visit site
I had the impression that Freesat just gave masses of channels of rubbish?

We find almost everything we want on the BBC iPlayer. About twice a year, we do a month on one of the streaming services as a series / film has caught our eye. Oh, and we'd probably buy 2 films a year to stream

All easily done via the mifi.
BBC iPlayer is bloody expensive at £160 a year though. Unless you live abroad and are not persecuted by Capita.

wonkywinch

Visit site

lustyd

Visit site
No, that is at home with VM fibre. Generally get 10-20MB on the boat using my 4G router which is plenty for You Tube/Netflix/TV catch up apps etc.
To be fair I had almost that in the middle of the channel last week about half way from Portland to Alderney 😎
IMG_8956.png