Sartorial Advice, east coast

peterb

Visit site
History

You missed out one little bit of history. The confluence of the Stour and the Orwell was where Alfred the Great fought his first naval action against the Danes, and that has been claimed to be the start of the Royal Navy.

<hr width=100% size=1>

max_power

Visit site
Re: History

And Peter.......

There's a nice story about the Medusa Buoy and that one eyed one armed bloke.

Can you remind us how it goes ?

Many thanks about the Sealand 5 minute info. I have dumped my old buoy ( toofar up) . Sealand's almost my corner shop ! Brilliant !

<hr width=100% size=1>

max_power

Visit site
Trollop !

I suppose you dress like that to ward off some of those weird aristo owner's eyes.

From what I've read, some of em wanted a bit more than just pulling ropes from a paid hand !

<hr width=100% size=1>

peterb

Visit site
Re: History

As I remember it, the British North Sea fleet were stuck in Harwich with a NW wind. Nelson (being a local) knew of a channel leading out to the south, and led the fleet along it. Ever since it has been known as the Medusa Channel after his ship.

Being a doubting sort of sod, I always try to check such stories. When I found a list of ships that Nelson had commanded I checked; no Medusa amongst them. But then I found that as Admiral, of course, he commanded the fleet and not one ship; he had a flag captain under him to do that. And the name of the flagship? Medusa, of course!.

<hr width=100% size=1>