SAR Aircraft and Marine AIS

theoldsalt

Visit site
Maybe common knowledge but news to me.

I noticed a vessel in the New Forrest shown on Marine Traffic. Turned out to be an SAR aircraft. The symbol used was for a "Tug or Pilot"

I then had a look at Vessel Finder and discovered the symbol used for the same SAR aircraft was a helicopter.

I've not seen SAR aircfaft (only lifeboats) on marine AIS websites before - is this new?

Last edited:

Quandary

Visit site
The Stornaway helicopter has always shown up on mine, the speed tends to be a giveaway, not many lifeboats get above 100 knots. Of course up here we have the advantage of a lot less clutter but there are more and more of those little magenta triangles destination 'classB', to be fair the majority seem to be boats from Scandanavia or France, Scots do not like the wife to know where they are.

knuterikt

Visit site
Maybe common knowledge but news to me.
I then had a look at Vessel Finder and discovered the symbol used for the same SAR aircraft was a helicopter.

I've not seen SAR aircfaft (only lifeboats) on marine AIS websites before - is this new?

I was surprised when I picked one up in March, but as Knuterikt says, I've since found out that it's quite normal. There's even a variant of the VDM sentence for them.

In the description of this message it says
...involved in SAR operations only
So presumably only when active SAR, but maybe used during training also?

chanelyacht

Visit site
So presumably only when active SAR, but maybe used during training also?

The CG contracted helos started using AIS about 3 years ago, when the aircraft had a technical upgrade. The new fleet coming on board to take over from RN/RAF will also be transmitting AIS.

Sadly the murderous lunacy of removing the Portland helo is still planned to go ahead. Three incidents over the last week when both the Solent and Portland helos were in operation, one was on the same incident.

Still, as HMCG's Head of Maritime Operations once said, "there will be casualties" :(

RobbieW

Visit site
Heres one I saw earlier...
2015-06-01_113815.jpg

..it was the potential for collision that drew my attention. This was taken from OpenCPNs implementation of AIS target display

Other threads that may be of interest