Sailing with replacement Knee

mldpt

Visit site
Hi no doubt a strange question, but if you have bad knees you will understand. I live for sailing and even sail for work, skippered charted www.sailingforfun.co.uk But is there anybdy out there who has had a knee replacement that sails, i am possible having a new knee this month and am concerned that i will not be able to continue sailing. I would like to continue skiing but I gues that is asking too much your coments will be very gratefully received.
Regards Mike

<hr width=100% size=1>

Trazie

Visit site
Know a delivery skipper who has had both knees replaced and it doesn't seem to have done him any harm - not sure how long ago though.
Good luck
Trazie

<hr width=100% size=1>

Cornishman

Visit site
When replacing knees it is important to ensure that the shipwright uses good quality timber and not offcuts left lying around the yard. They should be glued and screwed so it is vital that you check the fitting of hanging knees before he covers the screw heads. Nowadays aluminium bronze is the best material for the fastenings.
Knees are often left to their own devices for far too long, and should one give way the timbers they support can collapse.

Good luck - I have heard of several people who have overcome your problem and continued to sail, including one Yachtmaster Instructor who regularly passed his medical for his commercial endorsement.

<hr width=100% size=1>

peterb

Visit site
I used to have two crew members, one with only one leg, the other with two but one of them paralysed and in a brace. Both managed perfectly well on the boat, mainly because the boat was equipped with plenty of handholds. The only problem was that neither could use a shower, so we had to find places that had proper baths.

Shouldn't think that replacement knees would be a problem at all.

Ohdrat

Visit site
Re: Knees are often left to their own devices..

I have heard that new surgery techniques include a spring ..enabling "bionic" leaps.. specifically designed for yachties springing from boat to pontoon to boat to inflatable.. Only one word of warning.. trials have found that people with the new springs fitted tend to "overjump" at least initially and have been known to find themselves at the top of masts ../forums/images/icons/wink.gif

<hr width=100% size=1>

Aja

Visit site
Double check that they use marine grade stainless, then get on with it!

Good Luck

Donald

<hr width=100% size=1>

mldpt

Visit site
Thanks for all your encouragement and kind wishes, I have made the appointment this morning, check up 31st Oct and all being well op on 4th November. Strange how things work out I had to cancel bookings this summer due to illness in the family so decided to take Paget's Lady out to treat her Osmosis, she was peeled on 17th August, I have dropped the Keel and re fitted it, all being well, so now she is drying out hopefully ready for business next season, in the mean time it looks as if I am going to get my Knee fixed. My daughter who was ill is now well again so who Knows, it all looks good for 2004, we did the three peaks yacht race this year and had a great time, and hope to do it again next year. Thanks again for all your replies.
Mike www.sailingforfun.co.uk

<hr width=100% size=1>

Whiskey2

Visit site
Just to put your mind at rest. I had a total knee replacement last November and its the best thing that has happened but I am quite young for this type of operation only being 48. Sailing is no problem and the surgeon has said that I will be able to ski but no mogals! I wait and see about my skiing. I am fitter now than 10 years ago and feel great. Everyone is different so if you would like to know more pm me.Barb

<hr width=100% size=1>

peterb

Visit site
Not a bad idea. Magnetic steels or alloys tend to be less corrosion resistant, and there are few things more corrosive than human body fluids.

<hr width=100% size=1>