Sailing to Greece

kingsebi

Visit site
Hello,

I am sailing to Greece in a couple of days and I'm not sure about the formalities. What I understood from various slightly confusing sources is that I have to pay the cruising tax (online) and that I need to have my boating license, boat papers, vhf license (for boat and operator I suppose) and assurance papers (do i really need them translated in greek?) on board. My question is do I need to check in with port authorities on arrival as an EU boat (german flag) with EU skipper (austrian passport) coming from an EU country (italy)?

Thanks for the help and season's greetings!

AndrewB

Visit site
Noonsite ( Noonsite | Greece) is your friend here.

I have not been in your situation, but my understanding is that with an EU boat and EU skipper arriving from a Schengen country, the only requirements are to pay TEPAI (the cruising tax, in advance if possible) and keep a documented crew list aboard. All marinas will ask for your yacht registration and insurance certificate, quite often skipper's passport, but nothing else in my experience. Your insurance must be for a minimum €500,000 third party cover.

In the unlikely event you are intercepted by a coastguard vessel (most usually in remote anchorages, or near the Turkish coast), add proof of TEPAI and crew list (with passport details) to this. No interest has ever been shown in my licence, vhf licences, VAT receipts, or Greek translations (from English - but maybe different if German?).

As a result of some recent concerns, principally about UK flagged yachts, I would however suggest you carry evidence that VAT has been paid of the yacht in the EU.

If you have any doubts about this, first check into a major marina and ask staff whether you need to visit Port Police. Except for Kalamata, I've not heard of officialdom being unreasonably awkward, though Port Police sometimes express mild irritation if they think you are visiting them unnecessarily.

Note the warning about only calling emergency services in extreme emergencies while in Greece. It can be a slow and expensive business getting your yacht cleared afterwards. If you need a tow, better to call a local marina.

Last edited:

Tranona

Visit site
Just to add to that, a copy of your insurance certificate in Greek is compulsory and your insurer should supply this (UK insurers do on request in all languages that you may require)

kingsebi

Visit site
Thanks for all the information! Sounds less complicated than I thought. I wrote to my insurance about the Greek translation and hope they will provide...

tudorsailor

zebahdy.blogspot.co.uk
Hello,

I am sailing to Greece in a couple of days and I'm not sure about the formalities. What I understood from various slightly confusing sources is that I have to pay the cruising tax (online) and that I need to have my boating license, boat papers, vhf license (for boat and operator I suppose) and assurance papers (do i really need them translated in greek?) on board. My question is do I need to check in with port authorities on arrival as an EU boat (german flag) with EU skipper (austrian passport) coming from an EU country (italy)?

Thanks for the help and season's greetings!
Apply for the eTepai online to get the Paravolo. The Paravolo is the document needed to pay the eTepai! Paying the eTepai online is fraught with difficulties. Best is to print the Paravolo which has all the correct numbers on, and take it to a Post Office. Pay at the Post Office and keep the receipt to show the Port Police. If you decide to pay online, and there are no errors, it takes several days for the online system to show successful payment and the Port Police will not accept a print out of the online bank transfer as proof of payment - but do accept the Post Office receipt.

TS

kingsebi

Visit site
Thanks tudorsailor. I paid the eTepai online - which worked - and now got the proof on my phone. Hope that will do. Corfu is nice!

tudorsailor

zebahdy.blogspot.co.uk
Status already changed to paid after two days, I was surprised.
Well done! Many people have had payments bounce when the number is not perfectly formatted.

If you have a printer, it is ideal to print out the new eTepai with the paid status to show any officials rather than handing over your phone.

Are you ever going to make the yacht "out of use" by not being on board for a period of time? If you are, then be prepared for further beaurocracy when trying not to pay the eTepai while "out of use".
TS

kingsebi

Visit site
I have no printer, but will see when I arrive in Corfu town tomorrow. I also prefer to have things printed. I hope to stay on board all year...

Crisby

Visit site
That’s odd, I thought Austria joined Schengen in 1995ish, I’ve met a fair few Austrians sailing in Greece who were obviously not aware of their 90 day limits.

Chris

kingsebi

Visit site
Sounds odd to me too. I just double checked on the website of Austrias foreign ministry and they say I don't need a visa, and nothing about 90 days.

billskip

Visit site
Sounds odd to me too. I just double checked on the website of Austrias foreign ministry and they say I don't need a visa, and nothing about 90 days.
I think its because there is not an easy way to check how long a perso has been in another country it is assumed there are no restrictions.
I believe legally one is supposed to register their presence in a foreign country, even in schengen, if they stay over 90 days...
The possibility that you will never be questioned, or it's hard to prove does not make it legal.

kingsebi

Visit site
Found the same information now: after 90 days I have to apply for a residence permit. Will see about that. Easier to fly under the radar than to face bureaucracy. I have been living in France, Spain and Italy on the boat for almost ten years now and never a problem. Might be different if you want to rent a flat etc.

Crisby

Visit site
I think its because there is not an easy way to check how long a perso has been in another country it is assumed there are no restrictions.
I believe legally one is supposed to register their presence in a foreign country, even in schengen, if they stay over 90 days...
The possibility that you will never be questioned, or it's hard to prove does not make it legal.
Yep that’s how I understand it and we went through that process in Greece pre Brexit but a lot of people were not aware of it. That’s not the same as being restricted to 90/180 though as you don’t have to leave Schengen, the process is generally done at a local police station and took us about an hour.

Chris

billskip

Visit site
Yep that’s how I understand it and we went through that process in Greece pre Brexit but a lot of people were not aware of it. That’s not the same as being restricted to 90/180 though as you don’t have to leave Schengen, the process is generally done at a local police station and took us about an hour.

Chris
Yes it's how I understand it also.
These rules are not new they have been around a long time,as said many are unaware and have been under the radar.