sailing submarine

newtothis

Visit site
How could they charge batteries under sail? I presume the spinning props were used to spin the electric motors acting as dynamos
I don't think there was a question of recharging the batteries. One of the linked reports says they sailed to Hilo, where they were then towed to a refuelling base. The sails were just used to get the boat from A to B.

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
I don't think there was a question of recharging the batteries. One of the linked reports says they sailed to Hilo, where they were then towed to a refuelling base. The sails were just used to get the boat from A to B.
The topic arises from this quote from Wikipedia:
"Around 12:30 on 12 May 1921, Gallemore was able to begin charging the submarine's batteries."

newtothis

Visit site
The topic arises from this quote from Wikipedia:
"Around 12:30 on 12 May 1921, Gallemore was able to begin charging the submarine's batteries."
Gotcha.. missed that.
The navy history site says:
"His acting XO, Lt. Roy Trent Gallemore, came up with the idea to make sails for the submarine and navigate her to Hilo, Hawaii."
And
"After making port at Hilo and receiving fuel from the USS R-12 the R-14 returned safely to Pearl Harbor."
Can't imagine it doing much recharging at 1-2 knots, but as the other site also says: "Details remain sketchy".