Sailing Retirement

Joao_Penha_Lopes

Visit site
Hello everyone,
Me and the wife are planning an early retirement when I am 55 (in 7 years time) and at that time the plan is to go sailing in our Suncoast 40 around the world, staying here and there for weeks, months or years...who cares. I know it is still early days but we are looking for a couple who might be intending to do the same in their own boat by the same time. After all is nice to have company.
Cheers
Joao

<hr width=100% size=1>

ubuysa

Visit site
Hi Joao and welcome!

My wife and I are doing pretty much the same thing this year, though we're going to limit ourselves to the Med, at least for the first year or three. From what I've learned from the good people here (and elesewhere) is that you'll have no difficulty meeeting like minded people when you're on your travels!

Tony C.

<hr width=100% size=1>There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary and those who don't.

snowleopard

Visit site
i have heard of younger couples who have given up the liveaboard lifestyle because everyone they meet is an older generation. sounds a bit silly maybe but it makes the point that the 50+ generation predominate out there.

we found that we kept meeting up with friends from previous ports and after crossing the atlantic almost every major anchorage had at least one old friend to share a drink with.

we set the ball rolling by inviting everyone who was flying an ARC flag in Lagos to a party and it all snowballed from there (will ignore sneers from non-rally people). we make a point of stopping to chat as we walk around marinas or dinghy through an anchorage, invite people aboard for a drink, hand out some surplus baking, suggest ssb link-ups with people doing the same passages etc

so you're bound to have a great social life if you put in the tiniest bit of effort. if you start making joint plans now it will be very frustrating when (not if) one of you changes dates or routes.

<hr width=100% size=1>