Sailing on Rutland water

Adrian

www.kydproducts.co.uk
I have recently inherited a 10’ sailing dinghy (sails and oars only no outboard) and would like to try it out at Rutland Water, I would appreciate any info regarding launching sites/costs etc, do I need to be “registered” or have any special insurance etc.

All info gratefully received!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Adrian on Wed Jun 27 12:51:54 2001 (server time).</FONT></P>

G

There is a saling club "Rutland Water Sailing Club" - 01780 20292 on the south side - also a facility for day sailing at Whitwell (north side) suggest you give Anglian Water a call at their tourist information centre; 01572 653026

G

I regularly launch my enterprise at whitwell which costs 9-00 for the dayand £5-00 after 2.00 PM. The slipway is good - next to the pontoon and there is a small bit of beach to launch from also.

Facilities are good - showers, toilets and chandlery, etc.

Insurance is needed before you can sail - at least third party anyway. There is also overnight storage (£4-00) and yearly storage with free, unlimited launching costs £275-00.

Be aware that when launching at Whitwell Creek there is alot of shelter and conditions are always windier on the main reservoir. Also when the wind blows straight down either leg of the horseshoe (Mostly Easterleys) quite large waves can build up in the main sailing area as there is a fetch of at least three miles.

Over all it is a great place to sail and will take you several days to explore properly, with creeks and bays to visit and anchor in. If landing in some of creeks watch out for the mud -being a reservoir alows nasty soft silt to build up.