sailing med / canary's

Johnboy2004

Visit site
sailing med / canary\'s

hello can someone tell me whats required when sailing to the med and or the canarys in terms of the following?

i am based in Dublin.....

insurance,
qualifications
paperwork
does boat need to be registered.

<hr width=100% size=1>

AndrewB

Visit site
Re: sailing med / canary\'s

The formal answers vary slightly from country to country visited. In practice the yacht must be insured for the proposed voyage. Qualifications are technically not needed in most countries, but an ICC is desirable and essential for Italy, Greece and some others, also France if entering inland waterways (the ICC must be CEVNI endorsed for this). Moreover your insurers may require a certain level of qualification for such a trip.

The yacht must be registered, with the registration document available for inspection. The insurance cover note must also be available. Your VHF licence, and evidence of VAT and RCD status is desirable, though in practice rarely inspected. Crew passports should be carried.

For a complete description of the formalities required by each European country, the best source are the RYA booklets "Foreign Cruising" Vols 1 and 2, C102 and C2, price £4.95 each.

Nat

Visit site

Andrews list covers it, i would just like to add Some harbours now wont let you in without seeing ICC Spanish seem to be having a purge lately best to have one , stops all arguements Good Luck .Nat.

<hr width=100% size=1>2655 ! You can tell me, I'm a Docter !

Johnboy2004

Visit site

hi well um i dont have any sailing qualifications.......at all...i only have scubadiving ones, have a good bit of boat experience..........

forgive my ignorance,,,,,,,,what is an ICC and how do i go about getting it?

<hr width=100% size=1>

JPGruntfuttock

West Med/ Inverclyde, yUK/Alameda Island, CA. USA
Visit site

ICC = Intentionally Certified Catastrophe. The RYA will disagree with this, but I took mine at a Sailing School in the Med, because I heard rumours that the Ffrench were going to demand it on my sail from the UK, they didn't, but 7 years ago.
The sylabus was simple:
Instructor: please plot a course on this chart from point A to point B.
Me, are you sure? Instructor: Yes. Me: umm really sure? Instructor: YES.
Me: Well then the direct course from point A in Chichester Harbour to jct 10 of the M4 motorway, overland is.......

At the "school" sailboat, preparing for me to demonstrate checking safety equipment, prior to casting off, sailing out of the harbour and along the coast to demonstrate points of sailing and then carrying out a berthing manouvre.

Me, where are the fire extinguishers stowed please? Inst: Oh this boat only sails in the harbour, there aren't any.
Me, I cannot find the safety equipment, life jackets, etc. Inst: Oh this boat only sails in the etc.
Me, err, where is the anchor and rode? Inst: Oh this boat only sails etc.

Instructor and his assistant then act as my "crew" for a berthing manouvre. Why two? It was an H boat, with outboard engine mounted about 6 feet behind and unreachable from the tiller, so one crew had to sit out on the tiny afterdeck and operate the engine according to my instructions.

But in fairness, they found my weakness, it was only as we came alongside I discovered, no lines on board, not one! Instructor: Oh this boat only....etc.
Using the jib sheet as an emergency line, I thought... serves me right for not checking the obvious.

Thank you for bringing back fond memories, I think it was all supposed to be sound basic sailing stuff and the sylabus is easy to get from the RYA.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Nat

Visit site

International Certificate of Competence. Contact R.Y.A. 0845 345 0400 for
your nearest centre. Cost of course will vary depending on your experience.
& length of course required ect.its valid for 5 years I am just in the process
of renewing mine. there has been a spate of accidents on the Spanish side of the med involving fast PWC;s & small power boats causing the Spanish Authouritys to
clamp down on anyone who behaves irresponsabley, for more information try
asking Suncoast, he has a sea school on the costa del sol and will tell you far more than I can.

alorwin

Visit site

Hi

We were in your shoes not long back. For the ICC it's best you have a knowledge of navigation. We got ours be doing a correspondance course in Day Skipper theory, although you can do a 5 day course, but there is a lot to take in and I'm glad we did ours over a period of time - you can work as quick or slow as you want! The RYA will send you a list of correspondance courses, and intensive courses are listed on the website. The Day skipper theory basically gives you basic navigation and a sound start to understanding a bit about boats. We used Chichester Marine Training if that helps at all.

After you've done the DAY Skip, book yourself on a Day Skipper Practical course. We used Stan form Island Sea School, who is based north of wales and has a lovely boat and is a really nice guy. This teaches you the practical bit of sailing, and he'll make you do all the navigating, so take your notes from your theory with you!

Once you've got the Day Skip Practical, you can apply for the ICC. If you need the inland waterways bit CEVNI, just buy the book by RYA and the cards are good too. Test is really easy, just the stuff on the cards really, identifying a few signs - just like the highway code for water basically! If you get both the Day Skip Practical and the CEVNI thing, you can send off for your ICC, just send them a copy of the Day Skip Practical (and the CEVNI bit if you have it, but can get ICC without it)

Then your set! They've just given you qualifications to cruise - how scary is that!!

Being as we were in a similar situation, feel free to email me with any queries as I realise it is a bit daunting getting started, but its worth it!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Gunfleet

Visit site
Re: sailing med / canaries

A CEVNI qualification wouldn't be relevant when sailing from Dublin to the Med or the Canaries unless the person asking the question used the Canal du Midi to the Med. If sailing in salt water he needs to conform with whatever are his national requirements for skippering yachts (ie if you're British, none). If he is inland he needs to conform with whatever are the requirements of the country he is in, usually but not necessarily ICC and CEVNI in Europe.

By the way you may be in for a surprise when you state that the 'Day skipper practical... teaches you the practical bit of sailing'. Nothing is further from the truth. It teaches you enough to begin to learn the practical bit of sailing a yacht. Read the definition of a Day Skipper in the RYA documentation and you'll see what I mean.

<hr width=100% size=1>

alorwin

Visit site
sailing med / canaries (re: JohnM)

I understand what you are saying johnM, but I think for someone who has no sailing experience, then doing a Day skipper course would be as good a start as any! Obviously a five day course doesn't teach you all you need to know about sailing, and I am quite offended you put me on an idiots level to think I might presume this!!

By responding to the gentlemans request on the qualifications he might need, I am simply outlining some of the steps he might need to take. We would have appreciated this simple advice when we were in his shoes.

Therefore I apologise if I have offended, and believe that anything I put on the site, is true to my knowledge at the time I post it. I only hope that my information is of use to the person who asked the question, if not to yourself!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Danthegorrila

in med on way to ........ home used to be in Cumbr
Visit site

Hi, Here is Spain and the Ballierics thing seem to have changed in the last two weeks since the Madrid bomb.

Within 3 hrs of the bomb the civil gauard not too cheerfully ask for every bit of detail they could including wanting to see the actual insurance policy, not just the certificate and my certificate of competence, which is a first time ever.

Since then twice more have we been ask for all the stuff, although not the policy and with a bit more friendlyness.

PB

<hr width=100% size=1>PB

ubuysa

Visit site
Re: sailing med / canaries (re: JohnM)

Well....not only do I agree with Alorwin but I'd go even further and suggest staring with Competent Crew (and my SWMBO and I did). For people with limited boat experience - especially on yachts - Competent Crew teaches you what goes where and what all the bits of string are called and what they're for - oh and how those big white flappy things work. We're SO glad we did CC before our Day Skipper because it meant we could concerntrate on the DS syllabus without trying to learn the basics as well. We had two people on our DS course (last year) who had what they called "some boat experience" but it was clear they didn't know the basics, consequently they didn't get the most out of the DS course.

Training is just accelerated experience and there aren't any shortcuts.

Just my opinion......Tony C.

<hr width=100% size=1>There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary and those who don't.

alorwin

Visit site

Hi!

I agree with the Comp Crew bit. We did the same and found it very beneficial! Definately gives you a good start anyway!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Gunfleet

Visit site

I think we're at cross purposes. We both started at the same place and took a similar route (except include dinghy sailing in mine). Ergo I don't have any criticism of it. I was just directing us rather precisely to the question jonbouy asked. My underlying point stands and I hope (am sure really) you'll agree. The quals are a starting point. A GOOD starting point, but no more. Anyone who thinks they are more is in for a rude awakening. Those guys who've sailed for 30 years who do it better than you (and me) have the 30 years over us, not a piece of paper. I hope you have a lot of fun learning - I have!
Best wishes
John

<hr width=100% size=1>

Nat

Visit site

Hi there.
Did they come round your Marina or board you? & also how did you get on with not having your actual policy with you. Ive been telling some of the people in my marina about all this but some of them dont believe it..

alorwin

Visit site

Hi!

I do agree complety. Bits of paper all the way through life mean nothing to anyone except the people that hand them out!! How many "Old Salts" do we know with an ICC?! And wouldn't they just laugh at us if we went around boasting we had it! Experience is the absolute only way to kearn, but the courses are a good start, and might give an idea if its for you or not. Personally, I've found it is definately for me, and I love every second! It's nice to talk to someone that shares the same love, and this forum is the ideal place to do it! Sorry if I got on my high horse, must have been having a bad day!

<hr width=100% size=1>