Sailing in the Med in 2019

poter

Still going south currently in Corsica for winter
www.fairhead.com
Off to Corsica in couple of weeks to take the yacht further south and then on to Greece.
So I will be visiting 2/3 European countries after Brexit. Not interested in the politics or any discussion re who is/was correct etc. etc. Only interested in what all of us UK flagged yachts/Boats will require to cruise in Europe?

Or do we all bug**r of to the Caribbean?

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
Pretty certain that most answers will be along the lines of who knows but a couple of low cost things might not do any harm.

T2L available for the price of a couple of stamps.

International driver's licence for hire car. I've heard it's sometimes asked for in Greece anyway, but haven't been asked yet.

Keeping plans flexible regarding possible 90 day limit on stay. Possibly move to Turkey for a bit, might be an idea anyway wrt TEPAH.

Nothing happening on Visas as far as I know (I don't think ETIAS kicks off until 2012).

Crisby

Visit site
We have similar plans but from Sicily, so I will be following this post closely. At the moment a good calendar seems high on the list to keep track of our 90 days in 180 if the worst happens at the end of next month! T2L although of limited use, sounds a good idea to help keep options open as I think flexibility of plans will be the key despite 20 years of planning.

Chris

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Firstly what ever you read here or any where else is guess work , no one and that include info from the RYA and CA , the fact is no one know not even them at the top .

Documents we need in the 28 plus years we been in the Med are your Passport , registered, insurance and make sure it's in other country language i.e. Greek and Italy, plus it has at less 500.000 liability and pollution cover , ( that may have gone up to a Mil now ) .
Skipper license, more and more country's are asking for thus now and Greece is one .
Bill of sale , , radio license Although I never been ask and lastly original invoice showing VAT paid again I have never been ask for it not even in Croatia .

We have visit ever EU country in the Med including North African country and Turkey and the document above where all that we needed .

I don't expect on the 1 day of April there going to be any change no matter what happen some months/years later who know , but as I wrote else where in the real world away from the forum no one that worried yes it talk about but no more then Greek Tax, Anchors or batteries , if the worst came to the worst and we have to do as it become known the EU dance , it's going to be a pain but it's doable people been doing it for years and it's only going to effect the liveaboard who want to stay in one country year after years .
For the once like us who move around it just mean counting the days .
Has for " Or do we all bug**r of to the Caribbean?" There hoops to jumps through there too some a lot worst then what may happen in Europe .
OH don't forget shorts Tshirts and swim wear unless your a naturist and them please mind which way you face when bending especially if it's around breakfast time .

Last edited:

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I only go sailing for the craic

:)
By the way panels problem sorted there are now going to be send to one friend boat then transported to a friends of a friends boat who will then sailing them over to me in Malta .
If you still sailing to Tunisia let me know and if you need anything sorted with hualout I see what I can do .

Last edited:

nortada

Visit site
Off to Corsica in couple of weeks to take the yacht further south and then on to Greece.
So I will be visiting 2/3 European countries after Brexit. Not interested in the politics or any discussion re who is/was correct etc. etc. Only interested in what all of us UK flagged yachts/Boats will require to cruise in Europe?

In 2 words - Don't know but most angles have already been debated here:

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthrea...U-Run-Up-To-Friday-29th-March-2019-amp-Beyond.

Tony Cross

Visit site
Pretty certain that most answers will be along the lines of who knows but a couple of low cost things might not do any harm.

T2L available for the price of a couple of stamps.

International driver's licence for hire car. I've heard it's sometimes asked for in Greece anyway, but haven't been asked yet.

Keeping plans flexible regarding possible 90 day limit on stay. Possibly move to Turkey for a bit, might be an idea anyway wrt TEPAH.

Nothing happening on Visas as far as I know (I don't think ETIAS kicks off until 2012).

Firstly what ever you read here or any where else is guess work , no one and that include info from the RYA and CA , the fact is no one know not even them at the top .

Documents we need in the 28 plus years we been in the Med are your Passport , registered, insurance and make sure it's in other country language i.e. Greek and Italy, plus it has at less 500.000 liability and pollution cover , ( that may have gone up to a Mil now ) .
Skipper license, more and more country's are asking for thus now and Greece is one .
Bill of sale , , radio license Although I never been ask and lastly original invoice showing VAT paid again I have never been ask for it not even in Croatia .

We have visit ever EU country in the Med including North African country and Turkey and the document above where all that we needed .

I don't expect on the 1 day of April there going to be any change no matter what happen some months/years later who know , but as I wrote else where in the real world away from the forum no one that worried yes it talk about but no more then Greek Tax, Anchors or batteries , if the worst came to the worst and we have to do as it become known the EU dance , it's going to be a pain but it's doable people been doing it for years and it's only going to effect the liveaboard who want to stay in one country year after years .
For the once like us who move around it just mean counting the days .
Has for " Or do we all bug**r of to the Caribbean?" There hoops to jumps through there too some a lot worst then what may happen in Europe .
OH don't forget shorts Tshirts and swim wear unless your a naturist and them please mind which way you face when bending especially if it's around breakfast time .

I think both these posts hit the nail on the head. Nobody knows what the outcome will be and so nobody can give any concrete advice. The advice of these two posts to ensure that you are as prepared as you can be is the best you can do I think.

My main worry would be that in any port you enter, and in whatever country, you are going to be subject to the interpretation of 'the rules' used by the port polices at that port. In the absence of a deal (and probably even with one) those interpretations are likely to vary between countries and even within the same country. Having all the appropriate documents and paperwork you possibly can, being polite, smiling, and being as cooperative as you can, is the best you can do.

I don't think any Med country wants to turn UK sailors away, so do all you can to not give them a reason to. :)

Mistroma

www.mistroma.com
I think both these posts hit the nail on the head. Nobody knows what the outcome will be and so nobody can give any concrete advice. The advice of these two posts to ensure that you are as prepared as you can be is the best you can do I think.

My main worry would be that in any port you enter, and in whatever country, you are going to be subject to the interpretation of 'the rules' used by the port polices at that port. In the absence of a deal (and probably even with one) those interpretations are likely to vary between countries and even within the same country. Having all the appropriate documents and paperwork you possibly can, being polite, smiling, and being as cooperative as you can, is the best you can do.

I don't think any Med country wants to turn UK sailors away, so do all you can to not give them a reason to. :)

Good point and Vic was wise to include the normal things we'd do in a non-Brexit, non-TEPAH year. I tend to focus more on Brexit and TEPAH as they represent new things with uncertain impact this year. Good to remember the standard everyday things as well.

temptress

gbr195t.com

So your question is "On what basis is the UK leaving the EU?"....

When this is agreed then and only then will you be able to get an answer to your question.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I went to our local main post office yesterday to enquire about an International Driving Permit. Strangely, it is not International at all, as you need a different one for almost every country you enter. The permit is administered by the PO, take a passport photo per country and your passport. Some permits last three years, others only one.

Mistroma

www.mistroma.com
I went to our local main post office yesterday to enquire about an International Driving Permit. Strangely, it is not International at all, as you need a different one for almost every country you enter. The permit is administered by the PO, take a passport photo per country and your passport. Some permits last three years, others only one.

Yes, I considered one last year after reading reports that they were required by some car hire companies in Greece. We did hire at the start of the season and the company confirmed they didn't need to see one. I am considering it for this year and my notes said there were 3 different styles. The 1968 one covers most of the EU plus Sweden and Norway (off there in a few weeks) and is fine for Greece. I'd only get the 1949 variety for Spain or Malta and lasts for one year. I'd expect to get by on one version most years but would end up with an overlap as 1968 does last for 3 years.

Last edited:

macd

Visit site
Only interested in what all of us UK flagged yachts/Boats will require to cruise in Europe?

Whilst the posters suggesting we can only wait and see are correct, of one thing we can be certain: a boat's flag state is largely an irrelevance. The qualification for a leisure craft's legitimacy in the EU is fiscal: is it, or is it not, deemed** to be duty- and VAT-compliant? If it is, no worries. If it isn't, then 18 months of Temporary Importation is freely available for vessels owned by non-EU residents.

As has repeatedly made clear on here, the time limits on third country persons are far more onerous to cruisers.

**The "deemed" bit is precisely the one nobody, from Junker down, can yet define.

Pasarell

Visit site
In forty odd years of hiring cars all over the world, I've never been asked for one. The IDP I did have many years ago never saw daylight.

I've been asked for mine a number of times in the Middle East and also in USA but there is no consistency. I've carried one for about 10 years now and replaced it 2 weeks ago.