Sailing in the Black Sea?

Nostrodamus

www.cygnus3.com
I never see much about sailing in the black sea.
It is a huge place and wondered if anyone has sailed there and what it is like.
Is it worth going or why is it that not many people go?
Thanks

Jeva

Visit site
Our plan last year was to go to the Black Sea. We sailed from Izmir in Turkey up to Istanbul. On the way we met several sailors who had come down the Danube and then into the Bosphorus. They enjoyed the trip and people in general relate that northern Turkey is interesting. However the horror stories that we were told of, checking out/in of Turkey in Istanbul put us off. Backsheesh is the norm, rudeness and aggression are common and the offices are far apart - expect to spend at least a full (unpleasant) day running around.
I'm sure you will enjoy the trip but go east and avoid checking in/out of Istanbul.

chinita

Visit site
Some Swedish friends did the Black Sea Rally a few years ago.

It was very well organised and they thoroughly enjoyed themselves. Much of the emphasis was placed on meeting and greeting on arrival at the various ports. A capable liver was a pre-requisite apparently - so Nostro should be in his element.

Lots of early starts, late arrivals and hard sailing between stops though - so Nostro should again be........erm. :rolleyes:

Nostrodamus

www.cygnus3.com
Some Swedish friends did the Black Sea Rally a few years ago.

It was very well organised and they thoroughly enjoyed themselves. Much of the emphasis was placed on meeting and greeting on arrival at the various ports. A capable liver was a pre-requisite apparently - so Nostro should be in his element.

Lots of early starts, late arrivals and hard sailing between stops though - so Nostro should again be........erm. :rolleyes:

Thanks Chinita... mines totally shot again tonight, just for a change. It does look a wonderful place to go but you just don't here of many people going there.
You still eating english breakfasts on the Algarve. I really could do with the full works. All we have are baked beans.

chinita

Visit site
'The liver is evil and must be punished'.

After a weekend of rugby in a typical Agarvian (Irish) bar I am suffering.

No fat boy breakfasts for me, just skip straight to the Sagres.

Nostrodamus

www.cygnus3.com
Lets go....

Going to the Black sea is something I would seriously consider but i do need to do some research. What better way than from people who have been there but trying to find them is difficult.... unless they never come out !!!!!!!!

You also need to sort your blog page out Artic.

chinita

Visit site
are you ever going to get off the Algarve and go somewhere foreign instead?

Bin there; done that. Now static with nine year old son. Decided to do that rather than have to send him back to complete his education half way through a trip. I think it is called 'planning'.

Give us a shout when you are doing something most of us have not done already :)

Nostrodamus

www.cygnus3.com
Bin there; done that. Now static with nine year old son. Decided to do that rather than have to send him back to complete his education half way through a trip. I think it is called 'planning'.

Give us a shout when you are doing something most of us have not done already :)

In about 20 minutes but it involves ropes, 4 left handed virgins, baby oil, wellingtons and three sheep!

truscott

Visit site

Nostrodamus

www.cygnus3.com
As far as the Black Sea goes, the World Cruising Wiki has a good bit of info on the Black Sea.
http://www.cruiserswiki.org/wiki/Black_Sea

It has an "Personal Experiences External Link" section, of which I found http://www.gyatso.net/logbook/black_sea_2010.htm to be a good read. They are the folk behind the Imray Black Sea Pilot.

We are planning on doing it "next year". Who knows, maybe we might even manage it.

Cheers, PT

Thank you for the links. What I have read does not put me off. Actually it encourages me more. But then again I have to read more.

CHKIWI

Visit site
Hi I has also been reading the link I like the idea of go in to the Black Sea and having a wee look around.
Our yacht in the south of turkey for the winter and have been trying to come up with a plan for this year. Will keep reading and thinking. Cheers Kiwi

Tricia

Visit site
We did the Black Sea in 2007. Checked into Turkey at Canakkale, went as far as Sinop in the Black Sea, loved every second of it. Checked out in Sinop, went to Ukraine but they wouldn't let us in without an agent so went to Bulgaria and Romania. Checked back into Turkey in Istanbul. No baksheesh requested anywhere (has it changed?). Saw maybe 6 other sail boats mostly from Ukraine. I would happily live for ever somewhere along the Black Sea coast of Turkey.

Nostro, I've got some news letters I emailed home, if you are interested in reading them pm me.

Tricia

Tricia

Visit site
We did the Black Sea in 2007. Checked into Turkey at Canakkale, went as far as Sinop in the Black Sea, loved every second of it. Checked out in Sinop, went to Ukraine but they wouldn't let us in without an agent so went to Bulgaria and Romania. Checked back into Turkey in Istanbul. No baksheesh requested anywhere (has it changed?). Saw maybe 6 other sail boats mostly from Ukraine. I would happily live for ever somewhere along the Black Sea coast of Turkey.

Nostro, I've got some news letters I emailed home, if you are interested in reading them pm me.

Tricia