Sailing in Nicaragua

Richard_Woods

Visit site
As PBO readers will know, I am currently sitting out the hurricane season in Guatemala. In November we start sailing south towards Panama.

We would very much like to visit the east (Caribbean) side of Nicaragua on the way. Specifically sailing to the Corn Islands and then to Greytown on the border with Costa Rica. From there it appears feasible to sail 100 miles through the jungle and into Lake Nicaragua.

It is then only 20 miles overland to the Pacific – so an interesting alternative to the Panama Canal. This was one of the major routes the San Francisco gold rush prospectors used so we know it is feasible. But we have failed to find anyone who has been there recently.

Can anyone help?

Thank you for your time

<hr width=100% size=1>Richard Woods of Woods Designs for quality sailing catamaran designs
www.sailingcatamarans.com

Talbot

Visit site
That has got to be cheaper and more interesting than panama. Hope you try this and can tell us about it afterwards. Is there a river that connects all the way, or have they constructed a canal from one of the rivers.
I would be concerned by the depth of the river and speed of the flow.

Assume you have already talked to the embassy and got their spin,
are there any charts?

Good Luck

Ric

Visit site
Are you by any chance the same Richard Woods who skippered Incitatus in the 1992 Fastnet race? If so I was crew for you!

<hr width=100% size=1>

keiths

Visit site
I was in Nicaragua last summer. One of my goals was to check the feasability of moving a boat across NI. I got sidetracked but did make it to San Juan del Sur on the Pacific side. they do have a Big crane (Didn't see a travelift, but my Spanish is not so good). The Road from the lake to SJDS is In pretty good shape. Didn't see a lowboy trailer in the 4 months in Nicaragua. There is regular Ferry traffic from Granada to Greytown(San Juan Del Norte). Don't know about seasonal variation in water levels. Regards Keiths

<hr width=100% size=1>