Sailing from Chatham

JohnDavie

Visit site
I’m new(ish) to sailing and close to taking the plunge on a 35ft cruiser which draws 1.92m. I’m keen to sail to and from overnight moorings, going ashore for food, but am unclear if much of that can be done from Chatham. I have sailed to Queenborough a couple of times and Ramsgate seems to be within reach, but are there many other destinations? The sailing part is fun but what else? Do most people just sail and come back again?

johnalison

Visit site
Much depends on the prevailing winds, which are SW & NE. You could fairly easily go up to Burnham or Brightlingsea for a weekend but might struggle to get back, or vice versa, so basically it is a matter of playing the tides and the wind, though I don’t know your area well, having only visited once or twice.

spudnukem

Visit site
I’m new(ish) to sailing and close to taking the plunge on a 35ft cruiser which draws 1.92m. I’m keen to sail to and from overnight moorings, going ashore for food, but am unclear if much of that can be done from Chatham. I have sailed to Queenborough a couple of times and Ramsgate seems to be within reach, but are there many other destinations? The sailing part is fun but what else? Do most people just sail and come back again?
Sail everywhere from the Medway. East coast has many gems. Wells next the sea and pyfleet being some favourites. Sailed to Calais many times. This year off along the coast of Northern France.

Concerto

Visit site
Welcome to the forum.

I have sailed from the Medway since 1965. Currently I have a 32ft Westerly Fulmar which I sail singlehanded. There are plenty of places to visit. The main places are Burnham on Crouch, the Blackwater, Brightlingsea, West Mersea for easy day sails. If your trips are longer than a weekend then the Orwell and Deben are must visit places, with the Alde, Southwold, Lowestoft and Wells also worth visiting.

To go to Dover or Calais is simple as you can take tide with you for up to 12 hours. The full gravy train is to go to Eastbourne or Brighton in about 16 hour with only 4 hours of adverse tide.

Have a look at East Coast Pilot for pilotage information, Keeping the book on board is wise and check the web site for up to date information on entering tricky places like the Deben or Wells. East Coast Pilot | ECP

If you look at my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/@FulmarConcerto, there are a few videos of sailing in this area.

RivalRedwing

Visit site
As Concerto says, there are many 'day' sail destinations from Chatham, we would routinely head over to the rivers of Essex and Suffolk for a weekend (there on Saturday, back on Sunday, lingering if we had a day or two of holiday) the key is making best use of the tide which usually meant being at Sheerness for high water. The Deben and Ore are also feasible for a long weekend.

Last edited:

xyachtdave

Visit site
If you’ve only got a two day weekend to play with getting somewhere further away and back is quite hard work.

You can get to any of the East Coast ports out the Medway in a tide in that sized boat.

If you took a 6am HW at Sheerness you could be in The Orwell by 1pm. Getting back the following day would mean leaving at 1pm and getting home 7-8pm.

One of the great things about the Medway is you can go out in any weather without worrying about the sea state, so if it’s really blowing you can get a challenging sail in for a few hours, something you probably wouldn’t do in a sea port.