Sailing clothing

Babylon

Visit site
Just to say that my 20yr old Musto MPX kit is washed and re-proofed each year, but only the jacket really retains its original properties. The salopettes had seen a lot of wear before I bought the suit 2nd hand after 5yrs use; they don't leak as such but do feel 'damp' in heavy weather. So these days, unless in very tough conditions, I tend to only ever wear lighter-weight breathable over-trousers; these are waist-high with a zip so having a wazz isn't the faff that salopettes are.

I find having a mix of kit onboard, including wool (lots of it), cotton, fleece, etc much more flexible across a variety of weather conditions than being a walking set of layered adverts for any given manufacturer of so-called 'technical' clothing.

pandos

Visit site
Hadn't heard of Decathlon before so thanks for mentioning them guys.
I don't see the 900 style mentioned on their website but the 500 may be the replacement.
Link here]
CRUISING RAINY WEATHER MAN CLOTHES - Sailing 500 M Jacket - Navy
The 500 is not the same as the 900. I bought my son a 500 jacket last week. Much lighter but looks ok and he likes it but bizarrely ,it has magnetic seals on the front pockets with warnings about compass interference...

xyachtdave

Visit site
I’d stay out the chandlers unless you want something for serious weather in the freezing cold depths of winter, only then do the collars that go up over your ears and fleece lined pockets make sense.

Added bonus is you’ll avoid looking like the stereotype ‘yachtie’.

I’ve been thinking about getting a Captain Currey sailing smock and cap in burgundy just to confuse people....‘modern plastic boat, he’s got a smock and reefer jacket, call the police....must have stolen it!’

I certainly wouldn’t get excited by brands, HL zips have fizzed away twice in 2 years which is a disgrace on £150 lightweight jacket.

Recently I bought a £35 jacket from Go Outdoors and is excellent, I can afford Rab etc at 5 x the cost but only appeared to be getting a label for the extra cash.