Sailboat rigging problem

alanporter

Visit site
I have a single spreader rig with 1/4 inch shrouds. The spreaders are angled upwards to equalise the angles above and below. The top shrouds are tensioned to 1000 lbs. After sailing on the port tack for several hours in a good blow, I found that the port spreader was now horizontal, while the starboard one was still angled upwards as before.

Can any one suggest the cause of this, and advise what I should do ?

<hr width=100% size=1>Alan Porter

boatless

Visit site
There should be a little clamp jobby in the cast spreader end. This is tightened around the cap shroud to stop it slipping.

Obviously, you need to release the cap shroud in question, then remove the split pin or bolt holding the fitting in to the spreader end, pull out the fitting, adjust the shroud/fitting position and tighten. Then replace. Quite safe to do it from a chair, even with the caps loosse, because the lowers will be bracing the lower part of the mast sufficiently.

Before you release the tension, put a bit of tape on the cap above the spreader so you know where the tip should be as you tighten the clamp.

Probably best to do the other side, too, because if one is loose, the other probably is too.

<hr width=100% size=1>

dickh

Visit site
If you find that the 'clamp' for the wire is corroded/knackerd or cannot be tightened, use a small stainless steel wire grip above and below the spreader, but make sure the threaded ends are pointing towards the mast and put amalgamating tape around to stop any chafe on the sail.

<hr width=100% size=1>dickh
I'd rather be sailing... :) /forums/images/icons/smile.gif