sail number?

pikeyrm

Visit site
I would like to find out if my sail number belongs to my boat as i have seen the same boat with the same number, is the a site where i can check if mine is correct?

VicS

Visit site
If you are talking about the class sail number .. possibly issued by the builder when new, the builder if still in existence may have records to crossreference with the HIN

The owners association may have records.

A paper trail to the original purchase might help but not guaranteed ( My sail number is wrong according to that ..... so is someone else's bought the same week in 1977)

If you are talking about a personal number or a racing number then the RYA or other issuing body should be able to help

Last edited:

VicS

Visit site
K numbers were those issued by the RYA before GBR numbers. Presumably they will still have records

What class of boat is it though?

Last edited:

rob2

Visit site
Strictly speaking, the number is issued to the person who owned the boat, not to the boat. It seems to be common practice for the number to remain on the sails when the boat is sold, but I don't know whether the number is valid unless re-registered to the new owner...

Rob.

rob2

Visit site
I stand corrected! It seems other things have changed, too. Last time I read that page, numbers were issued free to ALL RYA members!

Rob.

P.S. I've still a nagging feeling that when I got my sail number, it was issued to me and not the boat - I remember wondering whether if I had two boats I needed two numbers. I think the change to the process accurately reflects common practice, but also seems to raise more revenue for the RYA.

Last edited:

DanTribe

Visit site
If it's a racing boat, try the RORC rating office.
They wouldn't tell me what my number was, but confirmed that the number I gave them, was the right one for the boat name.
BTW, she hadn't raced for some years, but was still on record.

snooks

www.grahamsnook.com
The RYA is an Issuing Authority for sail numbers in the UK, speak to them.

It's possible that if your boat has changed hands a few times that the RYA's records haven't been kept up to date, so when you're sorting this out on the phone, it's good to know the chain of ownership and any previous names your boat went by.

In theory there should only be one of any class of boat with the same sail number including the country prefix, and your sail maker should make sure you have the certificate for the numbers they stick on your sail.

But as with most things boaty, it's not always adhered to :)

flaming

Visit site
Isn't it possible to stick any old number on the sail?
Who is liable to take you to task over it?

When I put the hull No. on the sail of my previous boat, it didn't conform to any of the standard criteria so was not liable to be a copy of any other boats sail No.

They are racing numbers. So if you were going to race, and were found to have a dodgy number I imagine that you'd be disqualified. Never heard of that though, as it's hardly difficult to get a legit one.

If you're not racing, then no, I guess there is no reason not to just put any random number on.

Scotty_Tradewind

Me: South Oxfordshire. Boat, Galicia NW Spain
Visit site
They are racing numbers. So if you were going to race, and were found to have a dodgy number I imagine that you'd be disqualified. Never heard of that though, as it's hardly difficult to get a legit one.

If you're not racing, then no, I guess there is no reason not to just put any random number on.

agreed, but as my hull No. was T66 it was a lot cheaper than a full race No. to have applied :)
It's also not a bad idea to have a sail No. for that extreme situation when emergency forces may wish to identify the boat. In that case my old No. would stand out a bit.
Good job my hull No. wasn't 69! :) :)

Last edited: