Safeshore galvanic isolator

rafiki_

Visit site
Had a problem with shorepower on Rafiki. Checked connectors etc, and the fix was to remove the GI. This was nearly 2 years old, but sent it back to Safeshore. In 5 days they had checked it out, and while finding no fault, sent a new one out to me, with a new 3 year guarantee. All fixed now, so fantastic service. I am guessing that the fault was in a connector.

maby

Visit site
How did it show up? Since the GI should just be connected in series with the earth connection, I would have thought that a failure would go unnoticed at least until you developed some other fault in your wiring that would normally be protected via the earth.

maby

Visit site
Fault was no electrickery supply to the boat. Checked through the supply from the dock point, and removing the GI fixed the problem.

If that "fixed the problem", I would get the rest of the wiring checked carefully - I don't see any way that a faulty GI can result in no electricity supply to the boat. If it goes faulty, you will lose your earth connection, but that will not break the supply to the boat - you could carry on for years without an earth connection provided you don't develop a more serious fault. Are you sure that the GI is connected in the correct wire of the shorepower cable?

rafiki_

Visit site
If that "fixed the problem", I would get the rest of the wiring checked carefully - I don't see any way that a faulty GI can result in no electricity supply to the boat. If it goes faulty, you will lose your earth connection, but that will not break the supply to the boat - you could carry on for years without an earth connection provided you don't develop a more serious fault. Are you sure that the GI is connected in the correct wire of the shorepower cable?

Yes, have tested the cables and connectors. All fixed now, so happy.

Lon nan Gruagach

Visit site
+ a serious 1 to this. If removing a GI faulty or otherwise restores power to your boat you have a problem. Most likely a neutral or live to earth connection that is tripping the shore power RCCD and removing the GI meant that the earth protection circuit was no longer flagging the fault. If it is a live/earth fault and you complete the circuit by touching anything connected to your protective earth and the shore power earth at the same time you will feel it in a most unpleasant way, probably turning the air blue for a good 10 minutes.

VicS

Visit site
Yes, have tested the cables and connectors. All fixed now, so happy.

I guess this was one of Safeshore's Inline galvanic isolators. Supplied ready wired to a plug and socket so that it merely had to be plugged in ????

Is this correct ?

Last edited:

VicS

Visit site
+ a serious 1 to this. If removing a GI faulty or otherwise restores power to your boat you have a problem. Most likely a neutral or live to earth connection that is tripping the shore power RCCD and removing the GI meant that the earth protection circuit was no longer flagging the fault. If it is a live/earth fault and you complete the circuit by touching anything connected to your protective earth and the shore power earth at the same time you will feel it in a most unpleasant way, probably turning the air blue for a good 10 minutes.

not necessarily if it was one of Safeshore's "Plug and play" In-line GIs , q.v. and there was a defect in the wiring of it. Perhaps the OP will clarify.

Last edited:

VicS

Visit site
Thought must have been. Only logical explanation really.

i wonder what was wrong with the faulty one that Safeshore are not owning up to ? "manufacturing defect" ?

Last edited:

rafiki_

Visit site
My thoughts are the problem was a poor connection between my lead and the GI, so no fault found with the GI. I don't think Safeshore have tried to do anything other than give a good service. I'm a happy boater, all fixed now.